What's new

Edgar Winter's Jazzin' The Blues CD (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's Edgar's new album that I picked up today, Jazzin' The Blues. If you liked his self-titled introductory album in a jazzy vein, well, here's it's follow-up, finally, like 30 + years later. Granted, it's jazz with a rock-y or R & B edge but it most resembles his very first album. This is the kind of music he's always wanted to do, I quess rockin' paid the bills though?

Most of the album is new stuff except for reworked versions of Free Ride and Frankenstein. Free Ride is subtitled, "(Smooth)" and it's a sort of smooth jazz version of the song with some tasty guitar pasted on top. It's all instrumental till the chorus of the song is sung in a smokey low voice for the last 40 seconds or so.

Frankenstein starts out with an organ leading the way, or synthesized organ? Anyway, it's a keyboard extravaganza. At one point I thought there was a horn player, but I soon realized it was a synth. Hiram Bullock supplies guitar where needed, he has a lovely solo towards the end. But, it's mostly Edgar on keys and alto sax and the drummer, of course. The whole thang has a swing feel to it and is aptly subtitled "(Frankie Swings)". It's nearly ten minutes long and changes moods alot, somewhere out in the middle I heard a few bars of Frankenstein played a bit like the original. The way the thang moves is remenisient of the All Out/Sky Train/Solar Strut Suite from his Jasmne Nightdreams album, sort'a.

The album has a bunch of vocals songs and a hearty share of instrumental pieces too. The vocal pieces are generally entertaining and Edgar's sings stille seems darn good after all these years. Hunk O'da Funk reminds me of the White Trash sound, funky, with a gospel edge, sort'a... Big Bad Bottom is a very amusing vocal about bass, hint: not the fish.

The title cut leads out the album and speaks to his desire to jazz the blues and not rock too much, more or less. The oddest thang on the album is Here's 2 Guitars. The intro of these two guitars sounds like theme music from an Italian film, with a clasical edge, but after a minute it breaks out into a salsa kind'a thing. Even then it sounds like it'd make right fine theme music for a film. The Guitar picking by Robben Ford and Michael Hakes on acoustic is rather nice but it's the different sounding cut on the album, in a way.

What you get with this album is R & B, jazz, blues, gospel, rock mashed up Edgar's way. I like it. The recording seems pretty good. It's on a German label, SPV. It's fun when an old favourite makes an album this good.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, have you heard the Alex Skolnick Trio's Goodbye To Romance: Standards For A New Generation? I got it at CD Baby. Alex, the guitarist, almost reverts back to total rock form at times. He's tryin' to learn how to jazz off. It sounds right up your alley.

Jazzin' around just comes natural to Edgar though. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Rachael, thanks for the thoughts on the new album.

Entrance, an album Rachael eluded to, is a lost masterpiece. I'm excited you're comparing Jazzin' the Blues to this. I Have seen Edgar the last few years, and don't think he has lost much off his voice at all.

Pretty excited about all the Edgar Winter talk lately. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Zen, I was at the store and walking by his slot, and looked. I pondered for a moment and then decided to make it mine. ENTRANCE is the album I was referring to, of course. These two albums are very much in the same vein. Is it jazz, is it rock, is it blues, no it's Super Edgar! It's music with few boundaries, say hey.

I've always liked Entrance & the White Trash albums way more than his rock albums. So! I'm really enjoying this one. I'm gonna mix a Minidisc of this album, sum Dave's True Story, and maybe a few other thangs to enjoy while jogging and ridng my lawn torture machine. Maybe I'll open my disc with Entrance?:)

P.S. - I envy your seeing Edgar when I've had no easy chances for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks