Edgar Meyer- Uncommon Ritual... who else has this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john_focal, Sep 13, 2002.

1. john_focal

john_focal Agent

on the second track, at fairly high volume, I'm getting this wickedly low thump that I can only think is the mic picking up one of them tapping thier feet....

Anyone else get this? I'm just curious.

2. Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,
    Thanks for giving me a reason to listen to this incredible CD after a long lapse. This is one of my favorite acoustic CDs and highlights some of the talent of some of the best musicians in the US right now, irrespective of genre.
    I'm not sure if I'm refering to the same thing, but there is some very low frequency stuff not only on this cut, but also on several of the others. If it's what I think it is, it's Edgar's bass, which is specially modified at both ends to play notes higher and lower than conventional double basses. (His fingerboard has an extension so that he can play those high notes that sound like he's playing a violin - Edgar's won fiddle contests playing this bass). I was lucky to be able to go to an Uncommon Ritual concert, and it was the best concert I've been to. I noticed then the mods to the bass, which you can see on the DVD version of Applachian Journey. The lowest bass string has been extended, and looks more like a steel rod than a regular string. I don't have a frequency analyzer, but I suspect it goes to 20 - 25 Hz, if not lower. You need a decent subwoofer (or great mains) to hear it (mine's a VTF-3).