What's new

Eddie Murphy Raw...is it true??? (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I saw that it is slated to come out on Sept 7. is this accurate. I thought I saw threads saying it was never gonna be released can someone confirm or deny this?

B

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

Actually, it was Delerious that most
of us had given up hope on ever being released.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Delirious (the HBO concert special- is it the one that's also the comedy album 'Eddie Murphy Comedian', or is it the only eponymously titled 'Eddie Murphy' album?)-- anyway, classic stuff that everybody who loved Eddie back then knows and remembers well... Eddie Murphy, the family-film star, has expressed his hopes that the material not resurface again, since it so contradicts the man and 'artist' that he has become in the years since...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Well then why is Raw coming out? Isnt Raw the same kind of humor as Delirious? Kinda dumb thinking if you ask me. Please correct me if Im wrong. Or is it that Eddie doesnt have rights control to Raw?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Rumor has it Murphy is ashamed of some of his humor in Delirious (like the jokes based on woefully wrong facts about HIV transmission) and would rather leave it buried. The same rumors say he controls/owns the special.

Raw is owned flat out by Paramount so he has no say on that one.

Discussed at length here (and where we should take this discussion):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180415&highlight=delirious[/url]

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but...

I picked up "Raw" this week and was REALLY surprised to see how awful the disc looks. Heavy grain and dirt abound in this transfer. Just terrible looking.:thumbsdown:

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Delirious...Eddie Murphy has expressed his hopes that the material not resurface again, since it so contradicts the man and 'artist' that he has become in the years since..."

Not to mention that, in the concert, he accuses gay people of spreading AIDS to heterosexual people, and he also perpetuates the myth that women can spread AIDS by kissing a gay man on the cheek and then "coming home with the AIDS on her lips".

I think this has a lot more to do with Eddie Murphy burying the Delirious concert than concerns about profanity hurting his "family image".

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, as "politically incorrect" as it might be, Delirious is by far the funniest stand up concert I have ever seen. IMHO, it blows Raw completely out of the water and it really sucks that Eddie is trying to bury his finest material. I saw Raw at Best Buy for $9.99 the other day, but the bad reviews about PQ and the fact that I just don't find it nearly as funny as Delirious convinced me not to buy it.

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
I actually have another question... the DVD is widescreen, but I'm sure the concert was filmed in FS, as for television... Don't tell me stuff like this was filmed in anamorphic widescreen at the time.

So did Paramount simply cut some of the picture? man, that's some bad editing...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Eddie has no control over Raw so Paramount is free to release it. As for Delirious it says something to the effect of "Copyright 1983 Eddie Murphy Productions" at the end, so Paramount's license ran out on the title and I'm assuming Murphy wouldn't renew the license.

I've yet to see any public statements or interviews where Murphy has addressed this. So, I guess we could all just be assuming that Murphy doesn't want it released. If he does want to bury the material, he can't do much about it since the CD is still in print from Sony. That's kind of like an author pulling a book from paperback, with the hardback still being in print.

It was composed for 1.85 and projected that way theatrically.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Going slightly OT here, is the CD for Delirious the same length as the video?

Also, is the CD still in print? I can't find it at any online store.

Jodee

Screenwriter
The CD of the same material is entitled "Eddie Murphy: Comedian".

It is available at Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks