Eddie Cantor's KID MILLIONS in December

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BarryR, Oct 3, 2005.

1. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    NOW it's getting interesting--the little-seen Eddie Cantor musicals produced by Samuel Goldwyn finally have one major title on the way: KID MILLIONS (1934) from MGM/UA; online it can be had for under ten bucks. For those into early musicals this is major news. The finale of this film is in blindingly vivid Technicolor, set in an ice cream factory! Ethel Merman and Ann Sothern are among the co-stars, including a barely glimpsed Lucille Ball in the chorus. The peerless Nichols Bros are also aboard.

Now, where's WHOOPEE, PALMY DAYS, and THE KID FROM SPAIN?

[​IMG]

2. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Not to forget ROMAN SCANDALS! I'm looking forward to all of these, hopefully in the near future.

3. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up, Barry. I love Eddie Cantor's work.

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

...and even though it's lesser Cantor, STRIKE ME PINK. Also the Goldwyn-Danny Kaye films: UP IN ARMS, THE KID FROM BROOKLYN, A SONG IS BORN, and a reprint of WONDER MAN, formerly available from HBO. They are worthy for the Technicolor alone. The Kaye and Cantor films were brought out in box sets on VHS by HBO in the waning days of that format.

5. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    How could I have forgotten ROMAN SCANDALS!?

:b

6. David Grove

David Grove Stunt Coordinator

I see from dvdpricesearch the release of "Kid Millions" has been cancelled. Amazon also lists it as unavailable.

I had been looking forward to this title.

Just morbid curiosity, I guess, but, does anyone know what happened? Can rights issues still be a factor on older titles, such as this one?

Regards,

DG

7. David Grove

I just heard on the radio about the death of Fayard, the older of the Nicholas Brothers.

I had just "discovered" them a few months ago when viewing "Kid Millions" on VHS. I was shocked and awed.

I was delighted, then, to learn of the impending DVD release of "Kid Millions", not only for Cantor, but also for the Nicholas Brothers (even though their appearance was only a few minutes).

Anyone know what happened to the planned Dec. release of "Kid Millions"?

I'm buying "Green Pastures" and "Hallejuah" in part because they have some extras featuring The Nicholas Brothers.

I see from IMDB that they were also in "Down Argentine Way", which is also a title I'm interested in, even though I'm unfamiliar with the picture itself. I'm just buying all the older Technicolor musicals whenever they come out, and DAW is one, I think. Any speculation on the likelehood of "Down Argentine Way" on DVD?

Lastly, I also note from IMDB that The Nicholas Brothers had a short(?) in the 90's called "The Nicholas Brothers: We Sing and We Dance". I wonder if it might be a candidate for an extra on some suitable future DVD?

DG

8. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    The Nicholas Brothers-We Sing and We Dance used to turn up on A&E Biography frequently a few years ago. A&E sells a DVD+R for 24.95 on their website. Fayard was in poor health and dire financial straits recently. May he rest in peace.
    I saw the brothers in person at a tribute to them back in the mid 80s in Chicago. Very gracious. I doubt anyone who's seen Stormy Weather ever forgot them.

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

The Nicholas Brothers also had a number in "The Pirate" which is not on DVD but the number, "Be a Clown" is included in "That's Entertainment" which is on DVD.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

One of Cantor's early talkie shorts is on the upcoming Cavalcade of Comedy from Kino.

The Nicholas Brothers also made a memorable appearance in the recently-released Stormy Weather.

11. David Grove

So, does anyone know what happened to "Kid Millions" on DVD?

DG

12. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The Cantor Goldwyn films were released on Laserdisc as were several of the Nicholas Brothers titles, including Sun Valley Serenade, Orchestra Wives, Down Argentine Way, The Pirate, Stormy Weather, Kid Millions plus a few of their rare shorts that were on a couple of the MGM/Warner Shorts boxsets.

Like him or hate him the Eddie Cantor titles were always enjoyable.

The Nicholas Brothers were the most exuberant and exciting dancers ever to hit the Silver Screen.
    They clearly give Gene Kelly a run for his money in The Pirate.
    They are fabulous in Down Argentine Way.