Eddie Albert - dead at 99

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Steve...O, May 27, 2005.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    This could go either in the movie or TV forum. I chose the latter since that's where most of today's audiences remember him.

I really liked Eddie in the old Warners programmers he would appear in. Some of my favorites are Brother Rat (and its sequel) and An Angel From Texas. He was also in the original "Longest Yard".

From TV, I was never a Green Acres fan but I enjoyed "Switch", the series with Robert Wagner.

He apparently had Alzheimers, but was otherwise in decent health. Too bad he didn't make the century mark though.

Steve

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

RIP: Mr. Oliver Wendell Douglas.

IMO his work was fantastic on Green Acres, I may have to watch some tonight in tribute.

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I was watching my Season 2 disk last night ...Rip Ollie..I Hope there's no Hotscakes in Heaven

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

What a life!
    I was just reading a little about Mr. Albert.
    Here's an interesting bit:
    Also, he's a genuine war hero. You know, the kind that actually put their ass on the line to save lives. A real hero.

5. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

This unfortunate news arrived today. All I know is that he passed away at home from pnuemonia - or related complications - at the age of 99. Sad to hear as always and even sadder is the realisation that few from his era are left. I always felt he was one of the more accomplished actors and just recently was watching some of the Second Season of Green Acres. I always enjoyed his role in Teahouse Of The August Moon and Roman Holiday.If only he could have reached 100. Still, he had a long life and I have to admit that it surprised me that he was at that age - I watced him in McQ with John Wayne and it doesn't seem that long ago - time sure flies. He was a tireless conservationist who spent the majority of his time helping others. His son Edward mentioned that acting was only one tenth of his life and that what he accomplished off screen made him a true hero. He left us a worthy example.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    What struck me is that he never seemed to age. Sure, his hair turned grey/white over the years and he got a few more wrinkles, but the same youthful exhuberance he had in his early Warners films still shone through when he was in his 80s. He was easily one of the most "likable" stars.

I had got to thinking that his son Edward hadn't been around lately and then one of the news reports quoted him as saying that he'd put his career on hold the last 8 years to care for his Dad as he dealt with the Alzheimers. Very touching to read that.

It was also interesting to read why he suddenly aged 2 years today. Until today, his year of birth was always listed as 1908. Apparently Eddie was an illegitimate child and his mother changed his year of birth after she ultimately married. Times have changed.

I agree with the prior posts indicating how sad it is that a certain era of Hollywood is all but gone. Looking back at some of the Warners contract players you see multiple examples of people who made a great impact on society outside of acting (Eddie Albert, George Murphy, Ronald Reagan et al).

Steve

7. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I would be curious to know if he got to see the remake of The Longest Yard before his passing.

RIP Mr. Douglas.

8. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Probably not. I read that he had suffered from Alzheimer's for the last 8 years so his passing is really a blessing. It's so sad to see anyone suffer from that disease, especially someone who has led such a full and exciting life before it.

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

On another forum someone posted that he probably passed away to get out of having to comment on the remake. [​IMG]

Early reviews haven't been kind.

Steve

10. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

He will be missed.

Green acres is the place for me.
    Farm livin' is the life for me.
    Land spreadin' out so far and wide
    Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
    I get allergic smelling hay.
    I just adore a penthouse view.
    Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
    ...The stores.
    ...Fresh air.
    ...Times Square

You are my wife.
    Good bye, city life.
    Green Acres we are there.

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

This passing prompted me to pull out season 2 of Green Acres and give it a spin. I watched the last episode from season 2 which is one of my favorites...I also watched the one where the rest of Hooterville has an issue with his wearing a suit while doing chors.

12. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

If he had done nothing other than play Oliver, I'd still consider him a comic genius. He was brilliant on "Green Acres".