What's new

Ed wood when? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We asked Criterion to pick it up, and rumor has it that Disney has created a high-definition master. We can only hope they were successful

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I want this now! Ed Wood is my favorite Tim Burton flick - let's hope he does a commentary...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, please give us Ed Wood on DVD. I love this movie. I also hope they give it some good thoughtful extras (could care less about promo stuff) but I would definitely pick up a bare bones copy as well. It's about the movie after all. And if the movie is this good
wink.gif

------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think this film made about $14 at the box office.
I think I was one of 2 people who saw this in the theater, the other person being the guy behind me.
I went to see based on the glowing review from Siskel & Ebert.
This is such a underrated film and Ive been putting off picking up a VHS copy for like 2 years now, but I dont know how much longer I can wait.
I remember being furious when I found out it was available on (shudders)DIVX with no plans for DVD and time soon. 2 and 1/2 years later.........
This is EASILY Tim Burtons best film-and one of my 5 most wanted titles.
"No one will ever notice that, filmmaking isnt about the tiny details, its about the big picture!"
"And cut, we're moving on-that was perfect!!"
I LOVE THIS MOVIE.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 28, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Ed wood when?
Not soon enough, I'm afraid.
frown.gif
This is a truly wonderful film and I would love to own it, even a bare-bones version. Like Jeff said, I'm really hoping that Criterion will get a hold of it. Disney probably won't want to be bothered with it since it is a smaller film.
It's Tim Burton's best film. Pull da strings!
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since the VHS is currently OOP, a lot longer
I take this as a good sign a DVD is coming
Jeff Kleist

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
They've been showing this lately on Encore I believe. I really love this movie. I've watched it twice in the past 2 weeks and will watch it again if it's on.
"Pull the string!!!"

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed, this is a fantastic film. I can't wait for the dvd release of it. Didn't Martin Landau win an Acedmy award for his performance of Bela Lugosi?
I just picked up the Plan 9 from Outer Space dvd for the great documentary with some cool interviews. I think the documentary clocks in a little under 2 hours. The dvd was cheap too as the MSRP recently dropped to $14.99.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...not just Tim Burton, but perhaps Johnny Depp's greatest performance
Yes, and perhaps Landau's as well. A rare case of an Oscar truly being earned.
Truth be known, this is the only Tim Burton film I've seen that I thought was truly great.
------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly a great film. I'm not much of a fan of either director (Wood or Burton - Though Burton is the better of the two
wink.gif
) but both have added to the color of Hollywood in their own way.
Any fan of this film should definitely check out the PLAN 9 FROM OUTERSPACE DVD because the film and the excellent documentary, FLYING SAUCERS OVER HOLLYWOOD, will give an ever deeper appreciation for the subject matter.
This DVD would be on my "must buy" list.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
There appears to be two versions of Plan 9 (Image & Passport). Can anyone comment on which is better in terms of extras, etc.?
Thanks
Greg Mariotti
The Uncool: Cameron Crowe Online Link Removed
cigarettes & coffee:
the definitive p.t. anderson resource www.ptanderson.com

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The IMAGE edition is just fine. Good contrast, sharp image, clear sound. As to when this might surface on DVD - who knows? In the meantime, you can pick up an excellent condition (or even sealed) copy of the laser for ten or fifteen bucks on eBay if you keep checking the listings.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
The Image DVD is the one to have. it looks good (remember this film didn't have the highest production values :)) and has the great documentary FLYING SAUCERS OVER HOLLYWOOD. You should be able to find this disc for $15 as well. I think its a must have for fans of B-SciFi or cult films in general.
[Edited last by Scott Dill on September 29, 2001 at 09:20 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks