What's new

"ED WOOD" Special edition - Another reason to get a multi-region player. (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Can someone say with certainty that the R1 disc will be barebones? And that the R2 one will have that commentary, etc.?
:angry:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

I think what's happening is that the R2 set will include the commentaries but for right now, noone is sure what the R1 disc will contain, if anything, besides the film.

Bruce

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Well if the Region 2 will have a hour of special features & a commentary track, I can't believe Disney would only release a bare-bones DVD for region 1.
It wouldn't be the first time, although it would be the first time a bare bones R1 DVD was released at the same time as a feature ladened R2 version. The R2 DVDs of Dead Poets Society, Ransom, Crimson Tide and Enemy at the Gates all have extras (some significant, such as commentaries) absent on earlier released R1 DVDs.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Certainly, I would prefer the extras listed on the R2 rfelease, BUT, I'm a bit puzzled by the reactions, anger and demands from many, regarding a given DVD release.

Isn't the FILM what we want and appreciate? I love to get a disc that's loaded, such as "Fight Club", "Seven", etc., but... truthfully, I spend very little time watching those extras. I spend FAR more time re-watching and studying the film itself. There are a lot of people on the forum that seem to be after all the bells and whistles, to the exclusion of the film. Any thought? Go ahead... yell at me.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I wouldn't have minded (too much) had Disney released a bare-bones edition everywhere...but for R2 to get a special edition while R1 gets nothing, that's frustrating. That's where the anger is stemming from.

Also, a question: LukeB, is this a certain hunch, or do you have "inside information"?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,

You have a point, regarding the region differences. Still, I find that so many of the "extras" are junk. Very often, even the basic commentary is so poorly executed that I don't listen to more than about the first third. Some are obnoxiously bad, IMO. It's truly special to find a well produced, worthwhile set of extras, but, in my opinion they're uncommon.

Once again... I'm not "anti SE", it's just that there seems to be so much emphasis on loading up a disc. I wonder, in relation to how many times a DVD owner watches the film--how much time is spent re-watching the average extra content?

My primary complaint would be the premium priced folks, such as Paramount, that offer nothing at all, aside from a trailer. As long as the price is commensurate with content, I'm fairly content with a fine audio/video transfer.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know it is worth noting that titles like Muppet Treasure Island was announced featureless yet does in fact feature such substantial supplements as an audio commentary.

To automaticaly assume Ed Wood will be featureless at this point in time is pushing it a bit, especially given how odd Disney has been in holding back many disc specifics lately.

Just some food for thought,

Dan

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Also, a question: LukeB, is this a certain hunch, or do you have "inside information"?
I wouldn't post a hunch in the fashion I did. The R1 release currently is not planned to be a barebones disc. I won't say anything more, but I would advise against buying a multi-region player EXCLUSIVELY for the R2 disc for this title, before hearing what the R1 will have. :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Good news.

According to DVDFile:

"...Ed Wood, the only catalog title of the bunch that features any sort of extras, including a new audio commentary with director Tim Burton and actor Martin Landau, "Pie Plates Over Hollywood" featurette and a music video."

This title really deserves more (can you say Vista Series?) but at least it isn't bare-bones.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
That's still missing all of this, though:

00:02:10:22 | ED WOOD
I'd hazard a guess at a trailer (which probably will be on the R1)

00:13:53:02 | LET'S SHOOT THIS F#*%@R!
Out-takes/bloopers?

00:07:22:01 | THE THEREMIN
Deleted scene?

00:08:13:05 | MAKING BELA
Make-up tests?

00:09:20:15 | WHEN CAROL MET LARRY
Absolutely no idea.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that "The Theremin" refers to a featurette about the electronic instrument used in the recording of the score. As to "Let's Shoot This Fu#$%#!," could it possibly just be a short making-of featurette? The title refers to a line of Bela's in the film.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm glad to see that this movie isn't being released bare-bones. The commentary track alone, makes this a mandatory buy. I wonder if the extras might be named differently from R1 to R2, possibly several featurettes combined into one. Either way, this is now going to grace my shelf before the end of summer.

This title really deserves more (can you say Vista Series?)
Hell yeah, unfortunately the Vista series seems to be reserved for films that did massive box office, which unfortunately Ed Wood did not.

Users who are viewing this thread