What's new

"ED WOOD" Special edition - Another reason to get a multi-region player. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Saw this over at DVD Times:

"Slated for a no-frills budget US release on 13th August, Buena Vista Home Entertainment have mercifully given the as-yet-unannounced UK release of Tim Burton's affectionate biopic about an hour of special features, listed as follows on the BBFC's website:

00:03:25:17 | MUSIC VIDEO
00:02:10:22 | ED WOOD
00:13:53:02 | LET'S SHOOT THIS F#*%@R!
00:07:22:01 | THE THEREMIN
00:08:13:05 | MAKING BELA
00:09:20:15 | WHEN CAROL MET LARRY
00:13:47:15 | PIE PLATES OVER HOLLYWOOD

Absolutely nothing else is known at this stage, but it is great news to see an under-appreciated gem such as this recieve the special edition treatment".

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I bet this is already in the works for R1 (just because something hasn't been announced doesn't mean it's not in the pipe), but I suppose polite inquiries would not be a bad thing.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is a travesty. If they're going to go to the effort of making the extras, why not put them on all discs. I may wait and buy an international player as this is one of the discs that I have been waiting for since DVD began. I just recorded the movie in widescreen off of TCM last month, so a bare bones DVD gives me nothing.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Again, since it doesn't say the R2 release is 2 discs (and 3 hours fits fine on DVD-9), are we positive the R1 release is bare bones?
Is it not possible that somebody just made a mistake about the R1?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Why complain about a barebones Region 1 release when you're only assuming that it would be barebones? I.E. it won't be...

Again, since it doesn't say the R2 release is 2 discs (and 3 hours fits fine on DVD-9), are we positive the R1 release is bare bones?
The R1 release will definitely not be barebones.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Muppet Treasure Island has unnannounced extras, I know this for a FACT. Given that Ed Wood hasn't been announced yet, I'd wait to start screaming till a press release

I'd say it's very likely the extras will be identical

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Given that Ed Wood hasn't been announced yet, I'd wait to start screaming till a press release
The big pain in the butt is that Disney doesn't even seem to be doing press releases anymore. The Muppet Treasure Island DVD, as you state, has some worthwhile extras. (Why some of the money spent on those weren't spent on a 16:9 transfer, I don't know.) But it's rather strange that Disney seems to not release specs on any of these titles and people are relegated to finding out when DVD Empire puts up the back cover scan the Thursday before release date. Ridiculous way to publicize your DVDs, IMO.

Disney just seems way too concerned with saving money and rushing out these catalogue titles. They're not spending money to produce quality OAR DVDs, and they're not even putting effort into releasing specs and supplement information.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The money WAS spent on a 16:9 transfer

I'm very positive the DVD was sourced from what most discs are, a 16:9 HD master

It was a very concious desicion for P&S

I know for a fact some great extras were shot. Too bad I won't see them until there's a widescreen version

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the upcoming Ed Wood DVD to have some extras. I own the LD and if this DVD is released barebones I will not be buying. I'm really starting to dislike Disney. They seem to be the greediest studio out of all of them. That's to bad.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The disc will have a new anamorphic (1.78:1) transfer, and a commentary track by (director) Tim Burton, (co-writer), (writers) Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, (actor) Martin Landau, (Costume Designer) Colleen Atwood and (Cinematographer) Stefan Czapsky.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Julian, where did you get that info on the commentary track? Last I read about the DVD it was only withj a trailer and a 1.85 anamorphic transfer.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Paul, I'm not sure if you're referring to the R1 disc, or the R2 disc, which this thread and my post pertains to.

The information came directly from Buena Vista.

The aspect ratio has been slightly modified to 1.78:1

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Well if the Region 2 will have a hour of special features & a commentary track, I can't believe Disney would only release a bare-bones DVD for region 1. If they do, they really need to get their heads checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DK Baker
Recent bookmarks