What's new

Ed Wood delayed AGAIN??? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So, it's just someone dropping the ball, forgetting to clear something. With all the scrutiny over rights and clearances, you would think this would not happen

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I noticed Amazon now has it listed as 'Out of Stock' and you can't pre-order it anymore. I have had it ordered for quite sometime and haven't recieved a cancellation note..yet. So hopefully they have it at their factory and will distribute it like they did with Duel.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Maybe, but let's just say they chose not to in the northern colonies... The fact that a new date is not mentioned and new orders aren't allowed doesn't bode well for the short term, and that's what made me think it wasn't a tie-in but legalities. I/we know for sure it isn't because discs weren't made on time.

Of course, we should always allow that maybe there was a problem discovered with the manufacturing/quality of the released discs.

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
it's not a manufacturing problem. I have went through the entire disc and have seen no problems.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, we must certainly be aware of people involved with the movie, specifically, and not just the releasing studio, who are desperate for $$$. Was there any music in the movie that could cause a rights issue, a biggie these days? Or, could it be as simple as some big names involved in the movie, who have current DVD's/movies, not wanting to be associated with this? At least right now? I can't figure why, it's a good movie, but you never know how stars and their handlers think. Ah yes, this is fun, the HTF Enquirer, but what do they expect after the second time this has gone weird?

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Well, this is pretty frustrating, to say the least. This title has such a loyal following, it's a real shame that we're having to to face yet another delay. I can't remember, did we ever get a straight answer about why it was delayed the first time?

Link Removed

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This is truly fucking incomprehensible, I'm sorry. To delay a title twice, both times within a couple of weeks of release is just bad business. These phantom "legal issues" couldn't be worked out prior to the announcement of the disc, let alone 10 days before release?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I agree. I mean this is something you would expect from Universal, but not Disney.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They initially announced the original 1982 version of "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" as being exclusive to the the expensive 3-DVD box set. Then they quitely released it on the lower-priced 2-DVD set. It was never announced, it was discovered when early copies started showing up. Then, while both 3-disc and 2-disc sets had the 1982 version, the extras advertised on the back of the 2-disc set were changed after the packaging was printed. They were cut down to fit the other version of the movie on the disc. The extras disc in the 3-DVD set was supposed to serve as the 2nd disc of the lower-priced set. On top of all that, a DTS track was added to the 1982 cut on the 2-disc set but wasn't included in the more expensive 3-disc set. Confused? Pretty much everyone was. Then there's "Back to the Future". The sequels included in the widescreen set were misframed. There was something wrong with the audio on "Back to the Future Part II". It took them about six months to offer correctly-framed editions of "Part II" and "Part III" to those who sent in their defective discs, and while some of the spots in "Part II" where the audio defects were most noticeable were corrected, the defect can still be heard elsewhere. Then there's "Taken" and "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life". They were both improperly authored so they aren't displayed properly in progressive-scan mode. Once again they offered replacements but some say the defect is still present. On top of all this, they have "forced" trailers (they're not really forced because you can fast-forward through them) on their newer titles.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Don't forget the Duel fiasco. Universal announced (and delayed) Spielberg's Duel twice. And, just like with Ed Wood, the last time some people got their copies early nonetheless. Rumour has it that the second delay had to do with a relative of Dennis Weaver tragically dying in a car related accident (I forget the exact circumstances), so they pulled it. Dunno if it is true, but so far the disc hasn't been re-announced. Twice announced, twice delayed. Just like Ed Wood.

Chris

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Delaying (hopefully just that) the release sure won't hurt eventual sales. The more we talk about it, the more people who might get tuned in to it, the more interest it stirs up. The more it gets delayed, the more desirable it becomes to get it. I doubt the vast majority of people who've had this on pre-order for a while will cancel; when it comes, it comes. I think...

OK, the Johnny Depp and Tim Burton angles have been mentioned. How about the Bill Murray/Lost in Translation (also due 2/3) angle? I'm not talking tie-in, but the opposite, an adversarial reaction. Somebody's new or current status causes them to make new demands over those originally agreed to. It doesn't take much (legally speaking) to hold up a DVD release with the profit potential (IMO) of this one.

Or as Christian mentions for Duel, possibly personal circumstances of significant personnel made the studio delay for "humane" reasons, and this could be something we'd probably never find out about.

Maybe the extreme edition of Ed Wood will have an extra about the release of the Ed Wood SE DVD (some disc I can't recall right now had an extra about how hard it was for them to get the DVD out).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It was his daughter that was killed when a runaway truck smashed into the Farmer's Market in L.A. sometime last year.

Considering those circumstances, the delay is certainly understandable. (If that is indeed the reason)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Damn. I sold my R2 in anticipation for this R1 release (deleted scenes? Yay!) but now it's gone again? Batman SE is gonna street before Ed Wood at this rate...

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Despite all the conspiracy theories to the contrary--and to reiterate some points that are getting glossed over here--it seems clear to me that Ed Wood is being delayed due to Oscar considerations for the the film's three major players: Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Bill Murray. Once those get settled, either after the nominations or after the actual awards, I would bet it would be in stores not long after--with a sticker touting the worthiness of the movie due to the involvement of the various Oscar-worthy players.

As has been noted, the same thing happened with Bowling for Columbine last year.

On the contrary, the release of a catalog movie involving three recent Oscar contenders could sell much better if properly promoted. (Actually, four, since Martin Landau won for best supporting actor in Ed Wood.) And we're talking about a sticker on the manufacturing end, nothing more.

Delaying the release also allows the studio time to ensure that the DVD gets some promotional muscle. It absolutely does not matter that Disney did not release Big Fish; this is what's called "piggyback" marketing--getting free promotion off of another company's big release. It's the same reason Disney released the animated Spider-Man DVDs after Columbia Tristar's live-action blockbuster. And the same reason that Warner released Roger & Me at the same time Bowling for Columbine hit DVD. And the same reason that Ed Wood will probably hit DVD--with a sticker about the Oscars--at the same time Big Fish comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks