What's new

ED vs HD Plasma (1 Viewer)

jasonGY

Auditioning
I have recently just started educating myself before purchasing a new flat planel display. I don't want to spend anymore than about $2500. My primary use will be for DVD movies and sports. I don't plan on using this as my every day TV, it going in the rec room, not the LR. I am currently looking at Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42-Inch. Is a ED going to do a good job with movies that are fast action, what about sports? I currently have digital cable, but plan on upgrading my service to HD once I purchase the display. Most of the info I have found seems to say my money is better spent on a high quality ED display instead of lower end HD based on the $$ I am willing to spend. It sounds like ED is better suited to DVD, not many TV channels are HD and ED does a good job of displaying HD TV signals. But I wonder if the lower resolution is going to hurt me when it comes to action type movies or sports. I also wonder about buying a box with or without a tuner. It seems to me we completely rely on other sources for the signal anyhow, so why would it be so important to have a built in tuner? Thanks for any opinions or insight!

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, for about $2500., you wont really be able to get a 42 inch HD plasma. So your limiting yourself to an ED plasma anyway.

But as far as DVD quality goes, HD-DVD/Blue Ray DVD's will be coming out by the years end, and there are dvd players which up-convert dvd's to HD. Also, more and more channels will be broadcast in HD as time goes on. So, unless you don't care about HD at all, and/or don't mind buying an HD plasma to upgrade in a few years, then get the ED for now. Just remember HD plasma's will keep coming down in price as the years go by.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I give Panny ED panels a big thumbs up. HD does look really great on them. So good, I don't see you getting an upgrade itch anytime soon. Your right about the sources these days. Internal tuner does seem almost a waste.

Try to find one of these for under $2k, I have seen them from time to time. These Panasonics display HD better than the lower end true HD panels in a side by side comparison.

jasonGY

Auditioning
What about something like Sony PFM-42X1? I see those for around $3500? If I really felt it was worth the value, I might be willing to go up to something in that price range. But I would only do that if it made sense. And most of what I read says the value is in the ED sets and not HD if price is an issue.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I too am facing the same questions and would love to hear more. I was originally looking at buying a JVC 52" DiLA/LCOS TV (LOVE THEM!) but alas it will not fit in the space I was looking to put it. I'm now thinking a 42"+ EDTV Plasma is the way to go. This would be for primarily SDTV watching, some HD, and some DVD. Anyone out there have some suggestions in the sub $2500 range? Is there a table-top DLP/LCD HD RPTV to be looked at instead?

Thanks, Brian

John S

Senior HTF Member
Have either of you went and looked at some of the plasma displays?

These ED Panasonics really impress the eye. The color depth and tracking seems quite extra oridnary for fixed pixel displays.

jasonGY

Auditioning
I have looked at some and am impressed, I haven't found that specific panny yet to view. Plus I don't get to see them showing DVD movies that are high action/movement type movies or sporting events. And my biggest concern is the ED display won't be able to keep up with the fast movement. But since I don't know, that is why I joined the forum and posted this question.

Nice to see someone agrees with me about the tuner. Unless you don't have the room or don't want to deal with a cable or HD box..... And to watch movies, you have to have some sort or signal source!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I see your concern was about fast action.. While earlier plasma displays had some smear / image retention stuff going on. I have not niticed it in a few years on any plasma. I think they have gotten faster in more recent versions.

A plasma guru here should chimne in on this. There are some telling specs for this in particular.

DustinT

Agent
unbelievable. i was about to post the exact same question for the same budget...lol

I read about a fella taking a $1800 42" Plasma at CircuitCity.com (EDTV) and adding HD tuner to it. he said the picture was great. Is this really worth it? IF you have ED, is the extra cost of HD subscriptions/tuner worth it if your ED can't really display the full capabilities of HD? I've struggled to find a definitive answer on this anywhere.

John S

Senior HTF Member
All ED (480p) displays I have ever dealt with are totally worth displaying HD on. This is opinion, I'm sure some of the videophiles on here will be quick to jump in on my comment here. But that is my honest opinion.

jasonGY

Auditioning
Some opinons out there say an quality ED TV will display and HD signal within about 10% of what an HD TV will do. Those same opinions say that unless you put the 2 side by side, most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. I have also heard the an less expensive HD TV will do a very poor job of displaying non HD signals like DVD, standard and digital cable. Since there is very little HD content being offered, is that 10% improvement worth a bunch of extra money. And then if you can only afford a less expensive HD TV that does a poor job of display non-HD signals which make of 90% of what you will watch.....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Being in Denver, we actually get quite a lot of true HD content free over the air. I have been encountering these 480p diplays right and left these days from people that bought them in the pre HD era. I have been getting their DVD performance up to par and hooking up HD to them. The owners are usually amazed when I am done giving them what they actually bought. Often just making simple cable / connection changes.

Just more FYI anyways. The SD issues are what they are, rarely will you get even close to DVD quality on it.

DustinT

Agent
Good point. we have a very small home which was our original motivation to go plasma (no need for entertainment center to house huge projector/tube t.v. in small LR). I plan to let the Plasma go with the house when we sell it as it will be "permenantly" attached to the house. This will allow me to upgrade up in 2 years when we plan to sell and move... ;)

for my needs i think the nice ED that is getting good reviews will work well for me. I will probably try out the HD on it as well. Looking forward to Mariners Baseball and Law and Order on HD :)

*sorry for partiall Hijacking your thread Jason-*

jasonGY

Auditioning
The more the merrier!
Personally I have never spent more than $400 on a TV, which was for a 32" Sony Trintron tube. So when it comes to spending thousands, I want to make sure I am spending my money in the most efficient manner possible.

DustinT

Agent

agreed! we are planning to install ours in June, i've been reading since December and still am not sure how it will all fit together. I want a complete media center w/ HTPC, so i've got my work cut out for me...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks