ED TV with HDTV Feed

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EdVB, Jan 27, 2004.

1. EdVB

EdVB Auditioning

I have a Gateway ED Plasma. I'm wondering if I would see an improvement in my regular television if I were to get HDTV cable, which of course would get downconverted to work on my TV. Would it be better than regular cable? Anyone do this?

Thanks!
    Ed

2. John S

John S Producer

Of course HDTV is better than SDTV, by source if nothing else.

Maybe I did not understand the question fully though.

3. EdVB

EdVB Auditioning

The question is, given an HD source, will I see a better picture (in reality, not theoretically) on my plasma with HD feed versus SD cable feed. My guess is yes, for the reason you mentioned, but I don't know what the limiting factor is in SD Cable - the source data, or the screen resolution. Thanks!

4. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

If you have the right equipment (i.e., the HD cable box) you should definitely see a HUGE improvement in picture on the HD feeds. I watch HD programming downconverted for my SDTV, and even on that setup the picture quality is astonishingly better than cable or satellite.

5. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Ed,
    We have a Panasonic ED plasma and there is a huge difference between SD and HD cable signals. You will definitely notice the improved resolution along with much better contrast and color separaton.

-Steve

6. EdVB

EdVB Auditioning

Thanks. I can get basic HD cable for $10 a month - I think it makes sense.

7. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

So if I get HD on my old 36" trinitron it should look better than SD cable?

8. nick_rh

Yes, a hell of a lot better...PROVIDED your HD tuner can downconvert the signal for your TV. I have an OTA tuner that does this; I'm not sure whether the HD cable boxes or sat receivers can do it.

9. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Through S-video? I have no component inputs.

10. nick_rh

Exactly -- in fact, my STB will only output 480i through S-video; the component outputs are HD-only. Just make sure to check the specs of whatever HD box you're getting. I have the Zenith HDV-420.

11. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

I use my digital cable box to view SD and only use my HD cable box for HD channels and channels over 99. It looks to me that my picture quality for SD looks better that way.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The Gateway plasmas don't have quality upconversion circuitry. You should see an even greater improvement than most plasma owners would in the upgrade. I ran OTA HD into my 27" SD set for a while and it looked beautiful - no ghosting, interference, lines, etc.

Think of it as pumping better than DVD-quality into the set. HD SHOULD look better than DVDs - the ED sets have more resolution than DVD, so downconversion to your native rez should theoretically be better than DVD.