Ed Sullivan Show coming to retail!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jul 18, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

For those of you interested in the Ed Sullivan show, and didn't want to get the Best-Of version DVDs that were available only direct from Time-Life, you're in luck.
    An announcement out of the VSDA from Rhino:

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi David
    that is great news, do you have any more news coming out of the VDSA ?
    [​IMG]

3. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

While it's great to have ANY Ed Sullivan material released on DVD, and I applaud Rhino for making this happen, a release like this perpetuates the butchery that this great series has been subjected to.

The rights to the series was purchased from Sullivan's estate by a butcher...er..excuse me, film producer named Andrew Solt. He has released in the material in a multitude of different ways EXCEPT giving us complete, uncut shows.

When shown on TV, the hour shows are reduced by 1/2 hours, with Ed almost out of the proceedings entirely, songs chopped in half, and cheezy, cheap synthezier music (and the same song every time at that) replacing actual live music that was used for "vaudeville acts" like acrobats or plate spinners.

If complete episodes were available (which seems to be a popular notion on this forum, no less complete seasons!)I would not be so negative about the ROCK compilations, which certainly is the most commercial route to take up front, but
    jeez, I really want the full old hour shows!

4. David Lambert

Oscar, I will post what info I glean as I see it, as will others I'm sure! [​IMG] But Gord Lacey, HTF member and owner of TVShowsOnDVD, is actually AT the VSDA event and will report on more TV stuff upon his return.
    Roger, I agree that uncut, in-order Ed is the most desireable thing! But this effort is going to appeal more to the masses. Perhaps if this sells, we will see more later. TV-on-DVD is taking off, and anything is fair game!

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Thanks David
    Will he only report on TV stuff, or other stuff as weel
    [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

I guess he'll concentrate on TV news at his site, but that doesn't mean he won't chime in here with other news when time allows.

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Huh? These have been available for a while now as 'The Ed Sullivan Rock-n-Roll Classics'. There are about about a dozen of them ('Smash Hits', 'Motor City Magic', 'Great Groups' etc.). (I can't provide a link because the timelife website doesn't seem to be responding.)

I have about half of them and they're quite good. These are different from the hour or half-hour long 'best of' shows that I think Roger was referring to. They're not entire shows but they have the entire performances, sometimes but not always with Ed Sullivan's intro (always something like "for all the youngsters, here are ...") and sometimes talking with the performers afterwards.

Is this what Rhino is promoting?

8. David Lambert

Marvin, that is exactly what I am saying! [​IMG]
    These are just like the Muppet Show discs that used to be available exclusively through Time-Life, and now are being released in stores via Columbia.
    These Ed Sullivan discs are the same ones that used to be available exclusively through Time-Life, and now are being released in stores via Rhino.
    That's why I said in the subject that these are "coming to retail"...as in retail stores, not just via T-L's mailorder system.
    What Roger was bemoaning was the fact these aren't full episodes, just like the cut versions he describes ALSO aren't full episodes. What he wants are (drumroll, please) full, uncut episodes.
    That's why I said: if these sell well in stores, then maybe Roger will get his wish! It will indicate that the interest in Ed Sullivan Show discs are indeed out there.

9. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    OK, David. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, regarding this post:

10. David Lambert

I agree with that assessment. The way I interpret it, Roger was describing how the shows were butchered in one way for the "Best of" broadcasts, and bemoaning that they are also butchered on these Rock & Roll home videos that you are primarily talking about. Roger just went into greater detail about the butchery of the "Best of" broadcast versions, than he did about the "Rock & Roll" home videos.

11. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    In any case, I recommend the 'Rock and Roll Classics' DVDs - at least the ones I've seen - regardless of who is selling them.

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

Is there any date indicated for these? Personally, I'm hoping after the first of the year, as my budget's already getting stretched pretty thin the next few months.

13. David Lambert

Kurt, not yet...you know everything I do so far! There's nothing at Rhino's site yet, just this report which is circulating at sites like Video Store Magazine, etc.
    Hmmm...now that I look at my original post, I see I neglected to state my source for that or post a link. My sincere apologies for that. I didn't mean to sound like it was sourced from me or anything. Here is the link to the original article. Again, I apologize!

14. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

OH NO!!! September!!! No food for me until the new year. Except a few boxes of cereal in October.
    http://www.rhino.com/hotpress/976096pr.html
    I feel it should be mentioned that the Stones perform "Let's Spend Some Time Together" rather than "Let's Spend the Night Together" at Mr. Sullivan's request/demand.

15. David Lambert

Excellent Kurt! I cannot figure out how you found that!

16. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I guess we all have our little secrets.

And occasionally luck...

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I remember seeing the Stones change the line in that song to "Lets spend some time together". Do you know the length of each DVD? I would hope it is at least 90 minutes.

18. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Assuming these are the same as the Time Life releases, the length of each one is only 45-50 minutes.

As for LStNT, Mick Jagger insisted that although he didn't sing "let's spend the night together", he also didn't sing "let's spend some time together." I think he said he sang something like "let's spend some ahhh together" or something to that effect.

19. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

144 performances divided by 9 discs=16 per disc. At 3 minutes each=48 minutes per disc, so I'm thinking Marvin's right on the times. Sad, but if these are as high quality as I'm expecting, these are vital to anyone with interest in rock and roll.

20. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit