What's new

Ed Norton Signed for Will Graham Role in "Red Dragon" (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Wow ... I never believed a Manhunter remake would ever come to be.
While I am a big fan of Manhunter and don't really think a remake is needed, this is beginning to get interesting with Ted Tally writing and Anthony Hopkins very close to signing.
Link Removed
I must admit that I was always disappointed that Manhunter didn't recreate the scenes from the original book detailing Graham's capture of Lector (and subsequent lapse into near insanity).
------------------

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I really enjoyed Manhunter, but it wasn't exactly spot-on with the book. Please understand that I don't mind when a movie diverges from the book it's based on, it's sort of the nature of the beast. However, if they're doing a remake of the BOOK, not the movie, and are going to try to stay close to the the original story, then I say more power to them.
And Ed Norton rocks...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Manhunter is my favorite of the 3 movies, so I guess I don't see why they need to remake it, but Norton is an incredible actor, so at least they're trying to do it right(if you CAN do it right.) I guess I'll wait and see how it is. Too bad they couldn't make a movie just about Hannibal's capture, that would be cool.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
This one should be interesting to say the least. I for one, can't wait to see Hannibal's capture. And Will Graham's state of mind is something I would DEFINITELY like to see played out this time.
And I want to hear the line....
I am Will's smirking revenge!
------------------
Hit pay-dirt with KDRT!
Petition FOX and score The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001933.html

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Why is it a remake?
As Chauncey stated, it's not a remake of Manhunter, but another adaptation of the book Red Dragon. Can we please try to distinguish between a remake and a new version? The fact that they're going to call the film Red Dragon should be the first indication it's not a remake. Not that they should do another version of Red Dragon. Silence of the Lambs was a great novel, and Hannibal wasn't too bad, but Red Dragon has nothing to separated it from the paperback thriller fodder that pollutes far too many of our bookstores. I love Ed Norton and would see him in just about anything, but Dino De Laurentiis' presence is more that enough to cancel out Norton.
And, honestly, why would anyone want to remake Manhunter? I know the film has it's defenders(especially on HTF), but come on! It's so Miami Vice esque. (and I do know Michael Mann was also executive producer of Vice)
I don't know why they have to drive this Hannibal thing into the ground. When Silence came out, it was a genuinely frightening film, and Dr. Lecter(not just 'Hannibal') was one of the best characters in modern cinema. Now they've turned the elegant and charming Dr. Lecter into a laughable boogeyman. A stupid caricature who bares his teeth to little kids so they run away. Pathetic.
[Edited last by Randall Dorr on August 21, 2001 at 10:30 PM]

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Randall,
I agree with your statement about what Hannibal Lector has become, as opposed to what he was when you first really got to know him in Silence. I credit that fault with the movie, "Hannibal" which did some pretty drastic changes to the character.
What I'm referring to is the flashback sequence to when Dr. Lector attacked the nurse. In "Silence" the scene is described as we see Jodie Foster reacting to the photo that the audience doesn't get to see (great scene, BTW). Dr Chilton says that during all of it, his heart rate never went above 85; he was cold and calculating to an inhuman degree. In "Hannibal" we see that scene in flashback, and he's freaking out like your garden-variety movie nutcase. So much for the monster that defied description. Now he's just a screaming basket-case.
Sorry to get off topic, folks...

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Chauncey:
Since Hannibal's release, the boogeyman stuff has been ten times worse, but it was there even before Thomas Harris published his long awaited novel.
Now it's been two or three years since I read Red Dragon(and I have no intention of ever reading it again), but I don't recall that there was anything significant told about Dr. Lecter's capture. There may have been bits and pieces here and there as various character remember, but the bulk of the story was about the search for the Tooth Fairy killer. Named so because he would Spoiler:bite his victims with his grandma's dentures
rolleyes.gif

Lecter had basically the same part in Dragon and Silence. If he is going to be a leading character in a forth coming film of Red Dragon, they'll need to expand the story quite a bit. If the film is about Lecter's capture, then it won't really be an adaptation of Red Dragon.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Folks, the most significant thing about Red Dragon, (which Manunter screwed up) was an incredibly mind blowing ending. Manhunter is a good film standing on its own but having read the book ahead of time and being totally blown away by the ending, this movie dissapointed me. I could not figure out why in the hell they would change it. I just hope they follow the book.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks