Ed - better now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Jenkins, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Anyone watch Ed still? We think it has gotten better since they started downplaying the Ed/Carol thing a bit and focused more on other areas. Last Wednesday's episode with Dr Burton was a good one I thought.
    Although, the new theme song sucks... [​IMG]

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Not until they downplay Warren Cheswick more. They've done a good job of reigning in Phil, but Warren is still too over the top.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I agree about Cheswick - the character is still doing all the stupid things he did last year. Although I will say he finally showed some growth this week in his last scene. It was his best moment of the year.

I'm glad they killed the Carol & Dennis thing. It wasn't working at all - I don't think the actors had any chemistry.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I doubt they killed that plot line. I'm sure it will resurface. It looks like NBC is going to buy another season so let's hope that the show can get some more support.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I think the Ed/Carol was the most interesting storyline of all. Warren and the bowling alley crew are tougher and tougher to watch each week.

Rob

6. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I pretty much agree with Rob. Every time I see Warren on, my finger twitches and I have to decide whether it's too painful to watch and switch the channel. I'm not sure whether he or Phil is more annoying. I like Ed, his friend, Carol works ok, but man, Warren and Phil are just a nuisance to watch.

7. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I think this week's episode marked a turning point for Cheswick. I think we all feel he is too over the top, and I sure hope the producers realize that and tone him down like they did with Phil. I think they will.

I really like the $10 bets as well. In fact, one week we didn't remember seeing one, is there one in every show?

8. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

I agree that Ed has gotten better this season. I have been a loyal viewer since the show began, but if they moved it to a night without West Wing and Law and Order I'd probably quit watching unless the show continues to improve (especially Chezwick and the bowling alley crew). I also cringe every time Chezwick appears on the show.

I think I only remember one episode without a $10 bet (which is the best reason for watching the show).

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm probably the only person who liked the show more last season. Maybe it's because I was getting used to all the quirky characters for the first time. Something seems to be missing this season. As for Cheswick, last season I found him to be very entertaining, but this season he's been pretty boorish. All the stupid things he does to try and win Jessica Martell are painful to watch. I thought they settled it last year that she would be with the jocks and Warren would be happy with the other girl (forget her name, but they stayed up on the mountain together.) This new "mentor" for Warren this season is kinda grating too. Hope the writing gets a little fresher, though I'll continue to watch the show regardless.

I also wish they'd bring back Kevin Pollak for another episode.

10. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Last week's Ed was pretty good.

Finally Warren does turn the corner, and for a while, gets the girl. I do see a lot of similarities between the Warren/Jessica/Diane dyanmics as I did in "Some Kind Of Wonderful".

Loved it when Ed's doctor buddy was trying to get fired to get out of his contract. I wished he did go into work with the bald cap on. I was thinking at the pool table that if he'd make the shot, the old doctor would retire, and if he missed the shot, he'd have to finish out his contract (2 more years). But the writers just left it to choice, and not chance.

Ed's integrity was also on display. Jay Thomas always plays smarmy characters. He didn't disappoint when he was totally turning off the jury as he was trying to lose the case (is this even ethical?)

Good episode overall. Oh yeah, when Warren was dressing up as Carol Vessey, now that was pretty funny stuff.

12. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Not to bring anybody down, but my local newspaper’s description of tonight’s episode hints that Carol may be rekindling the flame with Principal Dennis.

Hoooo boyyy…..

13. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

ya dennis is back.

collective boo's ensue.

i despise this man.

cheswick in the restaurant had me squirming...idk i guess i'm lame enough that i can relate

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ed 1/16/02

Damn, I just wanted to throw a TV brick when Carol took back Dennis. The sex must be awfully good, that's all I can say.

I felt really bad for Ed on this issue. At least Molly wasn't so annoying and sanctimonious.

Warren, Warren, Warren, I knew he'd blow it, and now is even more smitten with Jessica, much to the surprise of Diane, who has plotted to get Warren to see Jessica as a nice-looking bimbo that Warren would get tired of pursuing given the push in chasing her.

The appearance of "Pussy" from The Sopranos and Andrea Martin was a strange parallel story with Ed and Carol. How many spouses have that much trust in their spouse?

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor