What's new

"Ed" - 9/23/03 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, "Ed" is back for its "almost-didn't-happen" 4th season, and as far as I'm concerned they've hit the ground running. This episode picked right up where last season left off, not only with the storyline ("10 minutes later"), but also with the high standard of writing & acting that characterized the show's breakout 3rd season.

Of course, Carol & Ed are now together, and many a show has floundered after answering "they will" to a long-running "will they or won't they" relationship. That's "Ed"'s big challenge this year, and the show is off to a promising start. Carol & Ed have to get through the awkward transition from friends to lovers, and after a few false starts they find their way through it with a minimum of angst (for these two). It really feels like these characters have grown over the past year.

The gang at the bowling alley was in fine form in their brief air time. Shirley's in love with pies, Eli may be falling in love with the pie lady, and Phil's still looking for love in his own inimitable way.

And then there's Dr. Mike. He was at the top of his game tonight - he had at least 5 or 6 lines that I laughed out loud at ("Is bee-yotch an acceptable term?").

No Cheswick, but we did get a $10 bet.

All in all, a very nice episode, and an encouraging start to the season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Man, this episode just planted a big ol' smile throughout the episode for me. Good stuff!

We need "Super Frankie" to return, though...

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Great to have Ed back, and very satisfying to see them together officially. What will happen to Warren P, he has become a critical player in this show.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The previews for next week looked a bit too sitcom-ish, but since the previews for Ed rarely have anything to do with the tone of the actual episode they are promoting, I'm not too worried.

BTW, I'm being purposefully vague about the content so as not to annoy those who avoid the previews and commercials.

Regards,

Brett_H

Second Unit
OK, I dropped into this thread in order to grovel a bit after missing the premiere last night. (I managed to page down w/o reading any of the posts to avoid potential spoilers.)

Would anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to share (VHS, ftp, whatever)? I can be reached at brett_haney (at) yahoo.com or via PM here, but I'm heading out of town for the weekend tomorrow morning...

Thanks, and sorry for the intrusion!
-Brett.

PS - Mods, if this is against HTF policy, let me know and I'll delete this post ASAP!

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
GAH! I didn't know the new season was starting already! Any chance of catching a rerun? Oh well, glad to hear it started off running.

Can somebody spoil the $10 bet? :)

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
$10 bet Spoiler:

Mike sued a dog place for pawning a "non pure" breed off as a "pure" breed. So he took the guy to court for $850 restitution as the dog cost $1000, before Ed's cross examination of the dog owner, Mike bet Ed $10 to Call the Judge "Sally" he did and the streak continues. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
And then there's Dr. Mike. He was at the top of his game tonight - he had at least 5 or 6 lines that I laughed out loud at
My favorite was "Butch the bitch. What is she a lesbian?"

Oh yes more Super Frankie please.

Mike

JasonB

Agent
I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the episode was weak in comparison to many of the great episodes they've done in the past.

Dr. Mike had a couple of great moments but I was left wanting...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I liked the aspect of meta-commentary in the episode. The audience wants Ed and Carol to get together and when they finally do, the sparks do not fly for awhile. It's like they anticipated JasonB's reaction. :) Mix that meta-commentary with Mike singing badly, a $10 bet, and a couple of "biotch" jokes, and I thought it was a pretty amusing episode.

Regards,

Don Black

Screenwriter
A bit of trivia... Michael Ian Black (Phil) was the voice of the original sock puppet. And his birth name is Michael Schwartz (Schwartz translates to English as Black).

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
I just got a chance to watch this last night, and my favorite line of the night (a close approximation anyway):

Ed: I don't know what the issue last night was, you know my performance in the sack wasn't the problem

Mike: Uh...how would I know that?

I'm glad its back for a fourth season. Good times.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I enjoy Ed as much as the next Stuckeyvillain but I don't think that Ed and Carol have the right chemistry. They don't click along the same lines as Will/Grace, for example. This has always bugged me during the show...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks