Ed 4/24/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Missed last week's Ed, but saw it tonight.

In a plot like "Best of Times" where Ed is messed up by the recounting of his free throw miss in the high school championship 15 years ago, and Ed thinks he missed out on living a different life, the life of a "winner" or a "Have" vs. a "Have not".

Shirley has the hots for a delivery man, and Phil and Kenny make like cupid. It seemed to work.

During a re-match of the game, Ed pulls his hamstring on the 1st possession of the game and has to sit out the rest of the game. Still frustrated, he makes a bet: $5000 if he missed a re-creation of the high school free throw shot, or he and his school get the championship trophy if he makes the shot.

In an effort to comfort Molly who still has issues with Jim, Ed dresses up like a gorilla and delivers a Gorilla-gram. Molly and Ed talk, and Ed talks about the free throw and how he thinks his life would have been like if he made the free throw. Molly counters with the observation that he would not be the person he is today, a nutty friend who'd dress up like a gorilla to cheer up a friend, so who's the worst for not making that free throw?

The whole last 3 seconds of the game is replayed at the school gym, everyone is in their uniforms, Ed even gets the referee from that fateful game, and Ed totally chokes the free throw, and has an expensive free throw to pay for. Molly consoles Ed and knows why he purposefully missed the free throw - in order to stay the person he's become in the last 15 years

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Ed wasn't on last week, was it? I thought it was preempted for a Datelin or something.

Yes, this was an excellent Ed, because Molly was in it. She's one of the best things that show has. When she made the bet with Ed to make his practice freethrow regarding if Jim (?) would call, they cut to her and she has this absolute priceless look of uncertainty. It was priceless.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The other funny bit was when Phil and Shirley are walking around the bowling alley talking and the camera is following them around, and Shirley asks why they were walking around and talking, and Phil says something to the effect that they do it on the West Wing and it makes conversations look more important. HAHA.

4. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

YES! I was laughing so hard with that line!

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Yes, I thought this was an exceptionally good episode. How about Paul Schaffer as the clerk at the TV-Audio Store and that equipment he was selling Ed. From the previews, it looks like next week's show could be very intense.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I think he was also crying about the woman he "met" in New York City 60 years ago. He had cried when he was with her.

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Ok, here's a question...Now if the game was tied before Ed missed the free throw, making the free thrown means his team goes up by 1, correct? Now there should be still time on the clock, and if you assume the other team still makes their shot, then they still win by 1, making the free throw practically meaningless. On the other hand, I suppose you could argue that if Ed made the free throw, then the ball has to be thrown in bounds, but they should still have roughly the same amount of time left. Therefore, Ed really isn't anywhere near the goat they made him out to be. This issue totally bugged the hell out of me while I was watching this episode. Oh, and I still can't stand Phil [​IMG] I wish he'd hurry up and die or something [​IMG] He did have that one good line, but he still just bugs me.

8. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I thought the exact same thing while watching the show, John. But maybe we're over-analyzing the whole thing.[​IMG]
    And I agree about Phil too.
    Rob