What's new

Ed 3/12/03 (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
While I enjoyed the episode, the "previews" annoyed me. I know that previews are often (usually?) misleading, Carol appears to be telling someone that she loves some indeterminate male figure. We're supposed to believe that it's Ed. Then they show her kissing Chris Issak. What's that about other the artificial stretching out of the Ed/Carol story?

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
know that previews are often (usually?) misleading,
As a long-time ER viewer I can safely tell you: the NBC promo department is run by monkeys on crack. NEVER trust an NBC promo to accurately preview an upcoming episode. Who do you think is in the armor? My bet is that it's Frankie.

Having said that, last night's ep was a very mixed bag for me. It was a very funny episode, but not a really great one. I thought Carol and Ed's storyline was really well done, though I was hoping for more direct talk and interaction from them both. Carol's admission about her feelings about Ed dating Frankie was a big step, and you could tell Ed was not sure how to respond. I think he is still mostly in the "Carol's too messed up" mindset, but he has some doubts (as evidenced in his lucid dream).

Mike and Nancy - I thought Nancy was being a spineless people-pleaser, and I was firmly on Mike's side of being stubborn and pissed. I thought Nancy was WAY out of line to be angry with him. (Of course, I am also hyper-sensitive to the TV writers' rule that the man is ALWAYS wrong, no matter what.) Molly Shannon's B&B owner/operator was giving Vince Vaughn's Ricky Slade (from Made) competition as the most annoying person on earth. So while a lot of humor was wrung from the Burtons' predicament, I found it less than satisfying in how it ended.

The same goes for Phil's Next Big Scheme. In execution, some great laughs (nice to see more of the quirky Shirley), but overall, a little too "lite."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ed and Carol have this undeniable chemistry, but keeping it fresh and twisted at the same time makes watching it sometimes bittersweet (in a "chances not taken" kind of way).

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Mike and Nancy - I thought Nancy was being a spineless people-pleaser, and I was firmly on Mike's said of being stubborn and pissed. I thought Nancy was WAY out of line to be angry with him.
I agree completely. What is so wrong about wanting to be alone, drink wine and make love to your wife?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So while a lot of humor was wrung from the Burtons' predicament, I found it less than satisfying in how it ended.
I agree completely. The B&B owner's little speech about "I know what people want" was complete BS and Mike should have called her on it. The storyline was very funny (a Bob Dylan/Steely Dan sing-along :laugh: ), and I loved watching Mike do his slow burn, but they really wimped out at the end.

Liked the Ed/Carol story, however.

Next up, the move to Friday and the final three episodes of the season (but hopefully NOT of the series).

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
"Babysitting" was Episode 19 of the season and there are 22 episodes ordered per season, thus only three episodes left.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I really think NBC is trying to kill the show.
I don't think that they're trying to kill it. I think that they've decided there's no point in trying to save it, especially when you can "replace" it with a "reality" show at a much lower cost.

This is of course my fault.:b I stopped watching the show during the annoying Dennis arc. Now, I've come back in time to assure its demise.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Ed and Carol have this undeniable chemistry, but keeping it fresh and twisted at the same time makes watching it sometimes bittersweet (in a "chances not taken" kind of way).
Wow, you so read my mind...and said it much better than I could've. :D

As for Ed's future,
here's an interesting post at Stuckeyville.com's Spoiler Bar. It's about an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette quoting producer Jon Beckerman.

Hopefully good news!

Long live Ed! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks