Ed - 2/12/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Wow, what a chock-full show of guest-stars and recurring characters. I think we got Stella (Carol's wanderlustful sister), her painter boyfriend (Tim Matheson), Mark and Warren (classic Warren moments with him hanging outside Stella's hotel window), Frankie breaking up with Leon, Ed warding off the painter dude at the Goat.

2. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Patrick beat me to it...a great ep. Very reminscent of Season 1 and 2. Strong storylines, great writing...everyone had some kind of role. LOVED the minor subplot with Mike and Nancy.

Phil and Eli continue to crack me up. Shirley's subtle but consistent support of Eli also is quite funny.

I really enjoyed that we had an episode looking inside of Ed - feels like it's been a while since he struggled with something internally (other than Carol). Loved the scene where he had the paint, typewriter, clay and clarinet. I liked his revision of the epitaph near the end of the episode...great closure on his plotline.

Frankie and Ed certainly have great chemistry, and personality wise seem a great match. If not for Carol, I would be wholeheartedly rooting them on. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Stella and Warren - quite enjoyable though not very realistic. Warren's Cupid stunt confirms what has been hinted at for a long time - Warren is essentially Younger Ed. Warren's line about "being insane" when he turned down Stella previously was so great.

Picking at nits:

Some continuity issues. Sandwhiched between two exterior scenes with snow, we had Mike and Ed sitting in back of Stuckeybowl in the rain. That kind of odd weather is certainly not unheard of in Ohio, but it was a bit distracting for me. Also, when Stella first came to Carol's house, the ivy was BRIGHT GREEN - not usual in Ohio in February at all.

And Peter Whassashivik sure sobered up quick at the end - was quite tipsy talking to Frankie, but a bit later was sober and serious talking to Ed at Stuckeybowl.

Finally, I hated the very ending. I thought Ed's revision of the epitaph was a solid stop for his story. Getting the gang together for a midnight grape-squashing felt very forced.

Nits aside, a very enjoyable episode.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

How much redder could Matheson's eyes be? They were painfully red (in HDTV).

4. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Matheson overall just looked terrible, though it might have been on purpose. Was a bit sad seeing one of Animal House's main stars looking so....well, old.

[checks mirror and sees FAR too many grey hairs] Yipes! It's happening to me too!

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just throw some paint on them.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I liked the episode too, except for one thing...

While I was almost as glad as Warren [​IMG] to see Nicky Aycox return as Stella, I had a problem with her jumping Warren's bones only hours after breaking up with her boyfriend. I feel this somewhat negated the sweetness of their previous encounter in his basement. I wish the writers had taken a little more time with this, and saved Stella's inevitable deflowering of Warren for a later episode.

It was good to see a slimmer post-op Mark. But where was Diane??

And then there's Frankie. I just love Frankie. I've read that Sabrina Lloyd was originally scheduled for a 6 episode run, with a possibility of extension. I think next week's show will be her 6th, so I hope this won't be the end of Frankie coming up. If they gave Dennis Martino a year surely Frankie deserves the same?? [​IMG]

Oh yeah, as a Houston resident I gotta say this about Leon: anyone who would leave someone like Frankie to move to this burg needs to sort out his priorities! [​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Diane, I heard, was leaving the show (I don't think her name appears in the opening credits anymore).

Mark did lose quite a bit of weight since last month's episode featuring his pre-stomach-stapling surgery send-off.

Could Ed have redder lips? (Watching this show in HDTV reveals interesting facial features, like Warren's scar near his eyebrow/nose bridge area, Carol's semi-scar on her left cheek, Ed's weird right ear/lobe).

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

You watch a show with characters like Ed, Warren, and Phil and you want them to act rationally? [​IMG]

How about the final scene? Squishing grapes with smelly, bare feet in a bowling alley parking lot on a cold winter evening? Only the show "Ed" could make me buy something like that.

9. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Well I am a bit late commenting on this show, but I finally watched it a couple days ago. I really enjoyed this episode. Ed's storyline is somethign that I've given alot of thought too lately. I'm still rather young, but I wonder if I'm going to leave something behind for the world to remember me by. What will it be and how popular will I be when I'm gone?