Ed 11/12/2003

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Michael Martin, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Hmmm.

I liked the structure of the show - the parallel stories being told to friends, therapists and coworkers. It worked, and it's nice to see the show experiment with different plotting techniques. I liked the writing especially for Ed and the pet therapist, and Eli with his personal trainer. Very well done.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, and thought the writing was pretty strong. Mike once again nearly steals the show - and by singing in his head!

Glad they ended the Phil and Molly thing before it got ugly (uglier?).

The pool scene was great, and classic Ed.

However, I'm getting more and more frustrated with how they're doing Carol and Ed. It's only been what, five or six episodes, and already they've sucked the joy and chemistry out of the relationship. Have we had even ONE episode that shows a happy Carol and Ed? Why are the writers so afraid to have that? I find the current version of the couple painful to watch and not entertaining or encouraging.

Is the show really going to shift one of its major plotlines to New York?

My prediction: Ed will not propose until the final moments of next week's episode, and they'll cut just before Carol can answer. We'll have to wait until the episode after to hear her response. [​IMG]

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

i liked tonight's episode more than the previous couple. i do hear you on the 'non-happy' Ed/Carol thing, i can't help but think they believe this is their last year and are trying to push the story faster than needed?

it will be interesting to see how the writers handle it if they do get engaged and move to NY..

my prediction: he asks her to marry him, she says yes, they plan on moving to NY, Carol is fired from her new job or the magazine goes under or whatever, and they move back to Stuckeyville again..

3. Michael Martin

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I liked last night's episode a lot. Very funny, and lots of good moments with all the characters.

With all due respect to the great Dr. Mike, last night's comic highlight belonged to his wife Nancy. Jana Marie Hupp's reaction shot to the news that Molly had made out with Phil was priceless. [​IMG]

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Actually, the Eli and Jenny-Fair relationship has enough charm going for it to counter some of the Ed & Carol downward spiral. Making Eli a normal human being with recognizable relationships with other people feels like they cheated the premise though. In it's pure form, bowling alley employees on Ed are supposed to be broad comic characters. [​IMG]

Regards,

6. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Does anyone else usually watch Ed in HD? For some reason, last night's episode was not in HD in my area. Did anyone else have this problem?

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

We normally watch in HD. Last night, however we got home late from work and caught up via Tivo, so I’ve got no clue as to any problems with HD.

8. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

We didn't get Ed in HD last night either. I figured someone at Comcast forgot to flip the switch again.

9. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Exactly.

Funny ep. I cracked up the most when Mike was dunking Nancy in the pool over and over.[​IMG]

10. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

11. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

12. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

On the NBC website Ed was not listed as HD last night. I'm not sure why. Hopefully it will be back to HD next week

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I agree that the Ed/Carol contrivances are on the verge of ruining the show. Get them back to Stuckeyville already.

I could have gone my whole life and not had to witness Phil and Molly going at it.

Eli had the best line of the night: 7'3". [​IMG]

Rob

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

What's the deal with Ed feeling out of place in New York. Didn't he live there before he moved back to Stuckeyville? I am also upset with the previews for this show. Last week they showed the same scenes as previews as they did this week. I guess it is a way to manufacture interest. I did like the brief Molly and Phil "fling".

15. Michael Martin

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

New York is the place of Ed's failed marriage, I'm sure he's not all that crazy about NYC given how he ran back to his old familiar haunts of his teenage years.

Overall, this was a pretty amusing episode, even Eli's subplot was tolerable, and Nancy's reactions to Molly's tale was priceless.

17. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

My tape screwed up and I only got the last few minutes of this show. Even televisionwithoutpity.com doesn't review Ed episodes. Too bad too, sounds like this was a good one.

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor