Ed - 11/06/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone still watching Ed?

Ed gets "dared" to be Dennis's best man after Carol chickened out of telling Ed that he's not invited to their wedding. Ed knows it's a "sarcastic" best man invite, but charges ahead with the best man duties designed to make Dennis not have a good time at his batchelor party held at the StuckeyBowl alleys. Surprisingly enough, Dennis does have a good time. But once Carol is in their vicinity, Ed and Dennis's rift widens.

Ed also handles a case by Jennifer (Kelly Ripa), the wacky woman with the To-Do lists from last season. That subplot was just okay.

Next week:

I'll be glad when the wedding is over in one form or another next week.
    because it's drained a lot of the fun out of this season.

2. Matt Fig

Matt Fig Stunt Coordinator

Just started watching the show this year. The first episode I watched was when Phil and Eli play each other in basketball. That just cracked me up.

3. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I'm still watching Ed - try not to miss it at all.

Patrick, I have no idea what will happen after the wedding, but I have read this:

The wedding is stopped at the last moment due to rifts between Dennis and Carol and their parents.

I was actually surprised by this, as part of me was hoping:

That Carol and Dennis WOULD get married, and Carol would realize, sooner or later, what a frigging huge mistake she made. Meanwhile, Ed's feeling for Carol fade a bit, and he gets on with his life. The writers decide to end the series in 5 seasons. Mid season 4, Carol gets a divorce, and end of season 5 (and the series), Ed and Carol get married!

However, that would mean actually PLANNING out the story arcs, and outside of Joss Whedon and JJ Abrams, no TV writers seem capable of doing so. Which is disappointing, because on an episode-by-episode basis, Ed has some of the best writing on TV, and I think the writers COULD plan things out at a high level for the next couple of seasons easily, and still leave room for plot fluidity.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Interesting...

The "new bowling alley employee" Phil was good for a laugh.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

the dennis/carol/ed thing is wearing so thin. i had hoped they were done with it, they keep re-hashing old stories and truthfully, are ruining the show if they continue. i *hope* that next week ends this fiasco but i doubt it, so i'll continue to Tivo / watch for a while, but they are losing an avid viewing pretty rapidly this season...

6. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Does anyone know what is going on with Eli (or the actor who plays him)? He hasn't been on the show in 3 weeks despite large portions of the show taking place in the bowling alley.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the show has been lacking Warren Cheswick (sp?) in recent episodes?

7. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I think this is the make or break year for Ed. NBC seems to have invested a fair amount of promotion and money in pushing the series up the ratings ladder. They brought back the old Foo Fighter's intro song and consistently cross promote the show. I hope it catches on. I really like ths show. Warren or no Warren. =)

Btw, is there a reason why the "third" bowling employee left the show? Was it to make room for the Eli character?

8. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I've also noticed the very conspicuous absence of Cheswick, as well as Mark and Diane, though the latter two did have a pretty substantial subplot last month. Perhaps the actors availability is an issue, or the writers simply don't have stories for them right now, or both?

Mike Starr, who played Kenny, left the series voluntarily. Daryl Mitchell was cast as a replacement character. He was not originally written as a paraplegic; since Daryl is one in real life, they changed the character.

My frustration with Carol and Ed isn't that it's ongoing, it's in the idiocy of the characters - notably Carol. Choosing Dennis over Ed as a boyfriend was stupid enough, but as husband?!!?!?

Last week I felt like Ed capitulated too easily to Carol in the end - would have been interesting if the writers had allowed Ed to hold on to the simmering anger and jealousy longer than one episode.

See my above post (in the second spoiler) on my own not so humble opinion on how to get this Carol and Ed thing resolved.

9. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Given the whole Devo treatment to Kelly Ripa's re-appearance on Ed in the preview teasers, it was very very weak.

11. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Wasn't Daryl Mitchell also on The John Laroquette show as the counter owner? What happened to him that caused his disability?

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Motorcycle accident, IIRC.

13. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

I've been watching Ed since the beginning, it's one of my favorite shows. While I like the Ed and Carol bit, I agree that focusing on it too much will turn some viewers off, especially new ones that aren't familiar with past shows.
    Hopefully, though, more viewers will tune in on upcoming wEDnesdays!
    For kicks have you seen www.stuckeyville.com

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The fact that John Slattery is still listed as a guest star and not in the regular cast gives me hope that the Carol/Dennis thing will soon be over. The Dennis Martino character just rubs me the wrong way.

I liked Kelly Ripa's character in her first appearance, but you guys are right - the encore was weak. It's like the writers sucked all of the life out of the character (can't blame Ripa, as she did a good job first time around).

15. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Ed won't ned up with Carol until the last episode in the series....a la Friends (kinda) They keep teasing us and teasing us, then it happpened, then it was over, then he got her pregnant and now we want them together again......blah blah blah. I do want Dennis gone tho, he bugs me.

16. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Kelly Ripa. Sure the sub-plot was weak but damn she fine. Can we have an episode where we stare at her being cute for an hour?

And I second the vote to bring back Warren. May his voice never finish puberty.

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The whole subplot with Kelly Ripa was extremely weak. Apaprently she appears in the next two episodes, so hopefully the writers have something more substantial in line for her character.
    The relationship between Dennis and Carol is very tiresome. So tiresome that I decided to forego any spoilers and check TVGuide.com for the synopsis of the next two epsiodes, praqying that the nonsense would end soon. I won't say whether my prayers were answered or not. [​IMG]
    I noticed that the usual $10 bet between Ed and Mike was conspicuously absent this week. (An offshoot of this...the last two epsidoes of The West Wing have featured $10 bets.)
    Also miss the appearances by Warren and Mark. Can't say I'm a fan of Diane, though. I liked the other gal Warren was with the first season. Forget her name, but she's the one he camped out with up on the mountain.

18. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Jessica Martelle (sp?)

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jessica was the hot one that Warren as always after in season 1, but there was another girl, the one that did camp with Warren. She was cute, but I forget the character's name.

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The camp one was Jena Malone or someone who resembles her. I miss Jessica.

I think Carol and Dennis will get married on Wednesday then divorce in the last season.

~T