Ed 10/10/01 (Season premiere)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

OMG, that new "theme" song as rancid, putrid, just plain missed the mark. WTH happened to the old song? Did the rights to the song not get renewed?
    Ed and his nervousness around Bonnie was funny, while in bed, it appeared that he was on his way to sporting wood so he had to get the hell out of the bed.
    And the writers figured out yet another way to keep Ed and Carol apart by having Carole get loaded up with self-doubt (delivered by the new principal by the 30 second truckful).
    You could see the dagger in Ed's heart get twisted hard when Carol said she was afraid of Ed becoming her ex-boyfriend. So, I guess we'll get treated to Ed on the prowl for the next 5-10 shows.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

As soon as I heard the new theme song, I turned to my wife and said, "they just jumped the shark!" The old theme song (I think it was Foo Fighters, right?) totally set the mood for the show. I didn't catch the whole show, but is Phil going to be on this year?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, he returned at the end. Evidently he decided he wanted nothing to do with "Outragiacs" once he realized it was a mean-spirited update of "Candid Camera" - or, basically, "Spy TV".
    Still, I'm done with it. I found myself flipping to baseball during every scene with That Annoying Kid or The Couch Subplot (and normally I flee from The Wacky Bowling Alley Employees, too), and got fed up with the new obnoxious obstacle between Ed and Carol.
    Can't say I liked the new theme, either. Looks like the "Ed"/"Enterprise" dilemma's been resolved.
    [Edited last by Jason Seaver on October 11, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I did the same thing Jason. I was watching the A's/Yanks and flipping back to Ed when the Ed/Carol/Bonnie storyline was playing out. Otherwise, it was back to baseball. [​IMG]
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Funny thing is, "Ed" is the only show I do that with. I can't think of any other show that has such a sharp contrast between enjoyable-and-charming and painfully-cringe-inducing, within a given episode, on such a regular basis.

6. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Amen, brother. I totally agree.
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I like Warren. He's the scratchy-voiced hyper teenager who leaps before he looks, and Ed is nice enough to look out for him.
    Anyone think that Carole will have a fling with the new principal?
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

8. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Warren, in a sense, IS Ed. It's been hinted that Ed was a lot like Warren in high school. If you remember, they both asked the most popular girl to the dance and both got rejected. That's why Ed looks out for him.
    As for the theme song, I agree that it is nowhere near as good as the Foo Fighters' song.
    I still love this show, though. It's one of the few shows that I actually look forward to each week.