Ed 1/9/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ed's ex (Liz) shows up, and Ed gets to begrudgingly play the dashing knight in shining armor to save the day for Liz. Carol inadvertent pushes Ed to help Liz, and then has to deal with Toby's incessant bashing of Ed in various forms of literary expression until he finally gets the message that Carol isn't "into" him.

Eli has to confront the issue of sex with his girlfriend. It's a pretty honest look in how sex can go for a man who's a paraplegic like Eli. Jennifer is very good about the whole transition that Eli has to make in order for him to get over any physical shortcomings that his condition will introduce into their lovemaking.

And yes, absolutely no sight of the Burtons, and barely a whiff of Phil or Shirley (but she had a delightful limerick to share) or Molly.

I liked the tone of the this episode over the last one because it felt more like an "Ed" episode.

Ed has his hands full, though, as Liz represents the old comforts from his past as his impending marriage to Carol looms larger in the foreground.

2. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

regretzky's [​IMG] hilarious

I really like the Eli-Jennifer relationship.

Mike

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Oops, I forgot it was on tonight.

~T

4. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Interesting episode, especially considering that I was dreading it based solely on the previews. I figured that again it would be another contrived attempt to create tension b/t Ed & Carol. OK, so it was contrived, but for most of the episode I thought that for once the writers were taking a different approach. It almost seemed that they brought Liz in to show us just how much trust there was between E&C. Carol sees her not as competition, but as someone to pity (maybe they just finished watching the LoTR trilogy and thought Ed needed a Gollum?). She doesn’t even have much of a problem with Ed going to NYC with Liz… at least at first.

Somewhere around the end of the episode, however, the “here we go again” mantra began creeping into my head. By the time the previews rolled around, it was blaring full volume. Enough already! Jeez, I still love this show, and I still think that there’s a lot of potential left in this series (the great ensemble cast, the Eli/Jennifer relationship, the entire Stuckeyville high school thing, etc) if they could just get past the thought that the entire series hinges on E&C tension.

-Brett.