What's new

"Eco-Friendly" Packaging Here To Stay (1 Viewer)

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Well take away ALL the packaging and what do you have? Downloads that's what. Cunning Hollywood, cunning.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

You'll lick the USB-to-LSD cable and see the cover floating in front of you, big as life.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

As with anything manufactured, a new design is always going to cost more initially, even if it uses fewer materials. Amaray likely had to create a new mold, these cases probably have to be run on a seperate line, and the cases are not yet widely used (so the demand is not as high as the normal Amaray case). They are simply passing these costs on to the studios. As this new case becomes more accepted and used more often, Amaray will likely lower their per unit price on these eco-friendly cases to the studios.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I received Silence of the Lambs and got my first experience with the eco case. I think the design needs to go back to the drawing board. The front is too weak and I think the number of damaged discs that will ensue will have the studios coming up with a new design. This is going a bit too far IMO.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
OMG, that case looks like a nightmare! I have my problems with the Green movement but I don't think that's the reason why they did this. I think they used the Green Movement as an excuse to make a shoddier, flimsier case and not catch as much flack for it. I can't believe the disc is not fully protected by a plastic barrier. That is wrong. If there was any plastic cut outs they should be in the corners away from the disc. They are using a hip, trendy movement as an excuse to reduce the quality and effectiveness of their packaging.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Has anybody already noticed the new type of HD keep case Sony and some other studios is using recently? It's called Eco Lite Vortex and is yet another eco-friendly packaging. Unlike the cases that cut out parts to reduce plastic this thing just uses plastic that is half as thick as that of a regular case.

The result: A highly flimsy case that bends inward when even the lightest pressure is applied to it (you know, like picking it up or even just touching it). When these things are shipped it often results in more or less noticable damage to the cover art since it doesn't protect it properly. It get's even better when these are put into a slip cover. The slip cover itself is not protected at all, unless it's shipped in a very sturdy container and tends to be creased quite easily.

What's even worse: I found that more and more discs in these cases arrive with scratches on them. At first I didn't understand why... until I realized: As this case is so incredibly thin the back of the case almost constantly touches the surface of these disc while in transit, therefore rubbing directly against it all the way to your mailbox! I daresay that if they packaged regular DVDs like this most would arrive unplayable. As much as I hate the eco packaging with holes in it, at least it didn't scratch the discs!

With Blu-ray being much more scratch resistant than DVDs every disc I received plays... so far. But I still feel the need to congratulate whatever idiot came up with this for finally inventing a package that manages to damage even the very scratch-resistant Blu-ray.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Remember always that Hollywood cares zip about the environment except in their ad copy. Why else would they have all those private jets and limousines -- fuel hogs all. "Green packaging" is about one thing only -- $$$$$.

Of course, Hollywood isn't alone in this. The environment is being used as an excuse to cut back service. That's why even the most expensive hotels have notes when you check in: "In order to preserve the environment and save water we won't be changing your linens daily." You'll never notice any sentence following like "Therefore, your room rate is being reduced by . . ."

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
A lot of responses here are very typical of the greater problem. The "I support going green as long as it doesn't affect me too much" school of thought.

I think this is a great idea and will support it wholeheartedly. I think the very small population that feel the need to keep their collection "protected" and essentially looking uniform on the shelves by buying regular Blu cases, will not have an impact on the good that this initiative is doing.

I'm am a huge fan of "every little bit counts".

Oh, and Silverwook, I think you need to start shopping at different stores. I have never in my life found any gum or snot on any packaging.

This post isn't meant to start any type of flame war and if the Mods feel that it is, I have no issues with it being deleted.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

I guess SONY doesn't care about people who like to protect the cover art inserts of their BLu Rays that they pay so much for.

Hi, Jack.
I enjoy reading your posts but this time I have to disagree. I think that any corporation that does its (even small) part to cut back on the production of non-biodegradables should be commended. I have bought many Blu-ray discs that have the "missing" plastic, both in retail stores and from online sources, and so far have never once had punctured cover art. I believe this will be such a tiny problem (and you can always exchange one that you find is damaged) that the benefit we may gain from these cases in terms of plastic reduction, even if we are unaware of it, way-y-y outweighs the inconveniences. We all need to bite the bullet and become less anal and selfish, especially with this Gulf oil catastrophe. We will survive Sony's 20% reduction in plastic, and I hope all other studios follow suit.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Dick

Oddly enough I hate the eco BD cases that lack protection for the cover art, the ones with holes in them.

I have recently purchased 2 or so BDs from Sony, including Jason and the Argonauts, and that ECO friendly packaging is nice. It uses less plastic but it covers the whole are... no holes! So I support that ECO case I don't support the version FOX seems to use when it can't protect what I just purchased. (Holes)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks