What's new

Eclipse SW8152DVC (1 Viewer)

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard of this driver, Eclipse SW8152DVC? I can't seem to find the TS parameters or the Xmax for it. I can buy a used one for half price I just don't know if it would be very good for a DIY home theater sub.

www .acaraudio.com/default.php?cPath=24_57

Thanks,

D-Rex

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks...

How does a 1.3" Xmax compare to an Xmax of 23mm? Is this simply a straight conversion from inches to millimeters?

If it is a straight-forward conversion then the 1.3" converts to 33mm which would almost be of Tumult proportions. Am I missing something, I was considering an AV-15 but this one seems to be more powerful.

Any additional assistance is appreciated.

D

Thanks,

D

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
The SW9182Pro claims an Xmax of 3.5 INCHES one way!!
Max is 4 INCHES one way!

The 15"Pro claims the same.

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator

I know, isn't this equal to more than twice what the Tumult claims? Seems quite unbelievable if I am reading that correctly.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The claim for the 9100 series is 3.5" peak-peak travel. It may well be the Xmech/Xsus

Unfortunately Eclpise is known for a rather 'creative' use of T/S parameters, particularily when it comes to Xmax. Caveat emptor..... :wink:

Unless things have changed (and that's certainly a possibility) the Eclipse drivers are made by TC-Sounds.

If one looks at a Stryke HE-15 and the Eclipse 9100 series, there's a more than casual similarity between them. The HE-15 was made by TC-Sounds. And there's no way the HE-15 has 3.5" of Xmax claimed by Eclipse on their big 15". I know this because I have HE-15's.

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
How much would you pay for one of these? I have found them retail for $380 but you obviously think much less than that. How much was the HE-15?

Thanks,

Dallas

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard the Eclipse before, maybe give me an idea of the quality and value of this woofer? I would like to hear of a comparable woofer but if anyone else has actually heard this one I would appreciate hearing their opinion of it.

Just because they ask $370 for it certainly doesn't mean it is worth $370!

Thanks,

Dallas

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Dallas,
I have SW8152 in my car, except mine is svc. These are very nice woofers, and seem to be built like a tank. They are pretty much infamous for being very inefficient in the car audio world however. I send mine over 1000 watts of underrated power, and it takes it fine. If you end up getting one, I don't think you will be dissapointed, as long as you can feed it enough power. Btw, they are lowend MONSTERS. :D

About price, I believe I payed around 240-250 for mine, this was a couple of years ago. That tc-sounds sub Thomas linked looks really nice for 150 bucks though.
In fact, I can't believe the prices on some of those woofers being auctioned off at audiohole.com. I'm already conjuring up ideas for a bedroom sub with one of those 100 dollar 12's with 18m xmax!

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
That is very interesting but you hav eprovided me that link before when we were discussing the "bad" AV-15's that had to be replaced. I was afraid these were some from that lot since they are so similar to the AV-15. Would you think the current AV-15 would be worth the extra $50?

Thanks,

Dallas

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Dallas,

The old 'problematic' single spider AV-15 drivers were sold off months ago, and they were sold without any warranty.

Is John J currently shipping his new hand built AV-15's?

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't tried to buy one yet so I am not for certain. I am hoping to start building my subwoofer early next month so I need to make a final decision soon. If the AV-15 is available I will probably go with it. Otherwise, it might be the BP1503 but I was really wanting th elooks of the aluminum cone. I imagine I would appreciate the performance of the BP more than the looks of a poor alternative...

Thanks,

Dallas

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i will say go with the av 15 i have the first run and mine is awsome. i do have a small defect but it just limts my x max a few mm but it is olny noticible when trying for max xpl on the ring drop sene. the 1 in my car has no de fects and i havent gotten close to x max with 1000 wats aplyed in a sealed box and i have tons of clean crisp in your face bass

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
It looks as if AE Speakers will be making an HE-18, not the HE-15 of a few years ago. The AV-15 wil remain, apparently. The AV-15 looks to be a Tempest killer, if you can afford the relatively high price of admission. That defect is not on new AV-15s, just older (single-spider version) AV-15s built by TC Sounds. As far as whether or not John J is ready with the new line, he will have to reply for himself.

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator

You might like to know that your subwoofer options will be expanding very soon! I have designed a couple new lines of XBL^2 (tm) based subwoofer drivers that will be available in the next few months. I will initially have two different 15 inch subwoofers available, as well as other sizes and models. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I won't elaborate unless you would like me to. I just thought that you might like to know about them!

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
You're not hijacking my thread, I am looking for the best woofer for the money so if you have another option then, by all means, tell me about it. Tom has offered some good advice and others have confirmed the quality of some I am considering, such as the AV-15. That is what I am looking for, different options and opinions of those that have been there.

Is there a website where I could see the woofer? Prices? Exactly when will they be available?

Thanks,

Dallas

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
The post above is the first time I have publicly mentioned my new subwoofer drivers. I will be giving a much more formal introduction about everything in the next few days. Here is some very quick information for you:

There are two brand new XBL^2 (tm) motors that I have designed for two lines of subwoofers. The "smaller" motor has 18 mm of xmax, and will be offered in 12 and 15 inch drivers. The larger has 27 mm of xmax and will be available in both 15 and 18 inch models. (I might do a 12 inch version of this driver later on if there is enough interest, since the 12 inch version is already designed and ready to go...) There are lots of other little tidbits to mention, but I will reveal all of that in a different post, as mentioned in the paragraph above. :) Pricing is going to be excellent!! :emoji_thumbsup:

The production of these drivers is already underway. There will be no long pre-order followed by a wait for manufacturing to occur. :D ETA is about 2 to 3 months, and will be updated as I get information. The website is not ready yet, but I have specs that I can post as well as pictures that will follow. I hope that this helps!

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
I don't necessarily want to wait 2-3 months but I would be very interested in a 15" driver with 27MM Xmax. However, I was also wanting the appearance of the aluminum (or copper, just something other than flat black) cone like the AV-15. And, of course, the price is always a deciding factor...

Let me know what is going on with your driver in early September and I will be that much closer to knowing when I will be needing to buy one.

Thanks,

Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks