1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

echostar vs directv the mother of all comparisons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory Scott Bass, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone, I got so tired of trying to find a non bias comparison between echostar and directv that I decided to take action lol

I got a friend to bring over his directv reciever and I got it all hooked up this afternoon....I am going to keep it for about a month and do a side by side comparison of every channel.

I would like this effort to be of use to everyone so I am requesting parameters for the test. so far this is the way it is set up

I have both units connected to a hitachi 57swx20b thru the s-video inputs, I am then selecting pip and displaying both units side by side...this gives me an approx equivalent to two 27" tvs

I need suggestions on how to set color for this comparison because it isd obvious already that directv has much more saturation....so with the echostar set correctly you end up with a red push effect on the directv feed.

I plan to hook up a high resolution camera and do screenshots of each channel so people will be able to compare my comments to the screen.

Please chime in if this will help anyone or anything special I should do because this is alot of effort if interest is'nt there.

so far I have only tested two channels...cnn and cnn headline news.....side by side echostar was a full magnitude sharper with clean defined lines but also looked washed out color wise compared to directv which was clearly more vivid...so much so that I would say I could detect a good bit of noise in the colors. so in my opinion the echostar picture looked better....my wife came in to the room and remarked that the directv picture looked better to her.....this was 100% based on color though because to a videophile it was clearly not the best image....kind of opens your eyes to peoples perception though.

this snap shot of one channel though is not a fair comparison and I will spend the next month comparing....the winner will determine who gets to stay in my house. this will not be a hi def comparison because only the echostar is hd capable.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Can you use the same dish to get both systems?

3. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

no I had to mount a seperate dish....lots of trouble I know but I was not going to switch to directv with out doing this comparison

4. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this applies, but I thought I'd mention it so that you can be sure that you're comparing apples to apples.

On my Mits RPTV, the PIP has a different set of adjustments in the service menu. In other words, you need to be sure that your PIP is set exactly like the main screen area. If you have Avia, display it's varying test on both the main screen and the PIP at the same time and see if you get the same results.

As I said earlier, it may not apply to your set, but with all the effort you're making, it's definately worth a verification.