Echostar/Dishnetwork not putting out dolby digital

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric D Wong, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Anybody ever have a problem with an echostar/dishnetwork sat receiver not putting out a dolby digital signal? I just got a Denon AVR2505 and notice that it says PCM and doesnt show Dolby Digital, but Dolby Pro Logic IIx instead. On the echostar's menu, I can select Dolby Digital only, but then I get no sound whatsoever, no matter what channel (I thought maybe only the movie channels would use the dolby digital). If I use PCM or the Dolby Digital/PCM option then it works, but only in PCM mode. On the rear of the echostar, it also says "Dolby Digital output" on the optical out, so it should be at least capable. I'm at work right now so I cant call their tech support yet.... any ideas?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Only SOME of the movie channels and SOME of the PPV channels. Even then, the source has to be Dolby Digital. Finally, some DD content can be 2.0 (stereo).

-Robert

3. John S

John S Producer

A grey area for sure. Most HD content is still not really broadcast with DD 5.1.... But your right, I would expect you to be able to find some eventually.

The big 3 to 5 networks are getting better about this, but slowly.

4. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    When I switch my Sony DB930 to Dish Network the display always shows PCM 48K unless its specifically in DD (like HBO). So they do broadcast DD, just not on all channels. And I'd probably change my surround settings for Dish to something other than DPL2 (which is primarily for music and which I don't even have). Let the sound be your guide.