What's new

Echoing on Pro-Logic sources? (1 Viewer)

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes when watching a Stereo source (DSS or 2.0 DVD) there will be a very strong echo. I have a Yamaha RX-V800. It's usually random and sometimes, like tonight watching Enterprise, only lasts for a few seconds, then returns to normal. Does anyone know what causes this?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Joey: What mode is your Yamaha in? My guess is that you may be in some kind of DSP mode??

Yamaha receivers have several DSP modes like SciFi Adventure, Enhanced Pro Logic, Concert Hall, TV Theater etc. Unless you are in plain, straight Pro Logic, Dolby Digital or DTS you may well get some echo.

The DSP modes are created on models of acoustical spaces. So a certain amount of echo is needed to give the sense of a larger space. But as you've noted, it can sound artificial sometimes...

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the time it's set to Pro-Logic "Enhanced." When it does echo, it's very strong.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Joey: It's been a while since I've had a Yamaha. I know that most of the DSPs can be adjusted for delay, room size, etc. But I can't remember if the Enhanced Pro Logic has any adjustments??? If so, then you might try to dial down the amount of the DSP "Enhanced" effect. If not, you might want to switch to regular Pro Logic on the programs that suffer from too much echo...

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
When I owned a Yamaha receiver, I always used regular Pro Logic instead of Yamaha's "enhanced" version. Almost all of Yamaha's DSP modes and "enhancements" sounded much too gimmicky and echoey to me. Try using regular Pro Logic and see what you think.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I think you guys are looking at the wrong source for the problem. It's far more likely a problem with the incoming signal from the tv station and not your receiver at all. ( You say you were watching 'Enterprise" when it happened. ) I don't know the technical details but I notice there are certain channels with absolutely perfect sound in Pro Logic and others whose signals seep out all over the place. Some ,of course, may slip for a few seconds and go out of phase causing a different effect in your receiver. I think that's what you're hearing.

Just my 2 cents.

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, I think you're right. Let me try to explain better. The two times I've heard it the worst were these:

1. During a VH1 Saturday Night Live music special (on DSS), Martin Short was hosting. Every time he was talking, there was massive echo, like he was in a hall. But when it went to clips from SNL, it was normal. Very strange.

2. During last weeks episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. I was actually watching it in "70mm Sci-fi" mode. The whole show sounded great (which it usually does) except at two points it kick into high echo mode and then stoped and went back to normal. My wife looked at me and I just shrugged. That's what prompted me to post.

I don't think it's the reciever. I think its a source thing. Especially after the SNL incident. I just wondered if anyone else ever experiences this and what could be the cause. I'll try to watch (and record) the repeat airing of Enterprise Sunday night and see if it's repeatable. Thanks for all the insight!

Joey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks