What's new

Echo Bridge- The problem and the solution... (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think we should boycott something and it isn't the release of these blu ray movies. The problem you're creating is that due to your ridiculous nonsensical posts no one is paying any attention to what you're saying. All anyone sees is the silliness of the content Not the information that you're trying to pass along. It is more like a little boy after his parents tell him no, yelling at them, "you're mean, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you."

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
All we need is someone like Bill Hunt to press these crooks about why they feel the American consumer deserves substandard releases. The is no reason why Echo Bridge releases shouldn't at least be equal to Alliance in Canada.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
TonyD said:
I think we should boycott something and it isn't the release of these blu ray movies. The problem you're creating is that due to your ridiculous nonsensical posts no one is paying any attention to what you're saying. All anyone sees is the silliness of the content Not the information that you're trying to pass along. It is more like a little boy after his parents tell him no, yelling at them, "you're mean, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you."
I use extreme hyperbole because it flares up the protective instincts of the people who manage Echo Bridge. for example... Echo Bridge runs industrial scale puppy mills for the express purpose of stomping one thousand puppies to death every tuesday.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FanboyZ said:
I use extreme hyperbole because it flares up the protective instincts of the people who manage Echo Bridge. for example... Echo Bridge runs industrial scale puppy mills for the express purpose of stomping one thousand puppies to death every tuesday.
If they don't care about the product that they release, why would they care what someone says about them on a message board? If anyone at Echo Bridge saw this thread, I'm sure the most it did was incite laughter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by FanboyZ

I think we should boycott something and it isn't the release of these blu ray movies.

The problem you're creating is that due to your ridiculous nonsensical posts no one is paying any attention to what you're saying. All anyone sees is the silliness of the content
Not the information that you're trying to pass along.

It is more like a little boy after his parents tell him no, yelling at them, "you're mean, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you."

I use extreme hyperbole because it flares up the protective instincts of the people who manage Echo Bridge. for example...

Echo Bridge runs industrial scale puppy mills for the express purpose of stomping one thousand puppies to death every tuesday. [/QUOTE]

But don't you also think it runs the risk of them saying you're a wackadoo and paying you no attention?

I mean, outside of Equilibrium (which is OK) there are a lot of total crap in this list. To remaster say:

*CHILDREN OF THE CORN V: FIELDS OF TERROR / CHILDREN OF THE CORN 666: ISACC'S RETURN

You're talking about some real cost.. for a title that probably isn't going to sell worth jack. So, as a company running a business, how much money do you propose they lose on "My Boss's Daughter" ?

The thing is, Miramax was dead broke and sold to the only place that would take them. So they suck. Don't buy them. Mad, then don't buy them. But this is not "The Puppy Mill". It's unfortunate that films get lesser treatment, but I can't start pleading with a company to suck it and lose money on a title that will never bring it in.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
In hopes the entire conversation doesn't become about the wording of the OP and/or the films aren't notable enough to be of concern overall. Apparently Echo Bridge has also licensed the following films so there are a number that might hold greater appeal as well as being profitable to release in non-shoddy versions.

Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The (2007)
Dead Man (1995): Jim Jarmusch
Dirty Pretty Things (2002): Stephen Frears
Grifters, The (1990): poor Stephen Frears deserves better.
Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)
Fresh (1994)
Welcome to Sarajevo (1997): Michael Winterbottom
Jackie Chan's Project A & A2
Heaven (2002): Tom Tykwer/Krzysztof Kieslowski.
Renaissance (2006)
Smoke Signals (1998)
Human Stain, The (2003)
Proof (2005)
Blindness (2008): Fernando Meirelles
Two Hands (1999)
Below (2002)
Nameless, The (1999) (Los sin nombre)
Shipping News, The (2001): Lasse Hallström
Gerry (2002): Gus Van Sant
eXistenZ (1999): David Cronenberg
Hole, The (2001)
Little Buddha (1993): Bernardo Bertolucci
Marvin's Room (1996)
I Inside, The (2004)
Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain, The (1995)
Into the West (1992): Mike Newell
Crossing Guard, The (1995): Sean Penn/Jack Nicholson
Night Listener, The (2006)
Music of the Heart (1999)
Jersey Girl (2004)
Prophecy, The (1995)
Operation Condor (1991)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain, The (1995)
Well, I hope they don't mess this one up too badly, but the DVD was an ancient laserdisc transfer, so I can't see it being any worse than that. Good thing they don't have Sirens, so someone good can release it.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

Well, I hope they don't mess this one up too badly, but the DVD was an ancient laserdisc transfer, so I can't see it being any worse than that. Good thing they don't have Sirens, so someone good can release it.

They apparently do have the rights to Sirens.

https://www.echobridgeentertainment.com/miramax_titles.php

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
That's just it- they don't need to do any remastering, they just need to pass the transfers through unmolested. It takes extra effort to crop to 16x9 and downmix 5.1 PCM to 2.0 DTS. THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY downgrading their discs because they assume their target audience (K-Mart Shoppers) doesn't have 5.1 and thus wouldn't care.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

How long is this license for?

Someone on another forum reported that their DVD re-releases are beyond unacceptable also. Their Dead Man release is reported to be bare bones and non-anamorphic, and has encode issues even beyond that, when the previous DVD release from 8 years ago was anamorphic with extras.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I'll gladly boycott them, because they're all crap titles. What they're choosing to release, and where and who their target market is...says a lot about what they are as a company; the quality issue only confirms it. Besides, there have been a lot of crap DVD releases, and that didn't kill DVD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I think the real "problem" is that when one picks up a Blu-Ray disc, they expect it to be the best possible copy of that movie, and clearly that isn't the case with Echo Bridge. Cropping a movie is entirely unacceptable, and I doubt they're only putting them out that way because that was the only master they had available. Someone at the company either prefers them that way (or believes customers do), or at the very least doesn't understand aspect ratios. Not including the 5.1 sound mix when it was originally done that way AND available on previous video releases is also just plain sloppy. I could see that happening with maybe one or two titles as has been the case with some of the bigger companies, but it seems like ALL of Echo Bridge's releases had the 5.1 tracks omitted.

I thought the reason Shout Factory didn't get these movies was because Echo Bridge put up more money for them? If that's the case, it seems ridiculous that they would do that, then spend nothing on the actual releases. Pricing them low shouldn't be an excuse either- Blu-Ray is supposed to be a premium format that provides premium quality, and that shouldn't be compromised. This is starting to look like all those $1 DVDs of public-domain movies that claim to be "digitally remastered" but are actually taken straight from VHS tape copies!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY downgrading their discs because they assume their target audience (K-Mart Shoppers) doesn't have 5.1 and thus wouldn't care.

Again, there is no evidence of this. You claim to "know" this is the case because previous releases of the same titles included 5.1 tracks, but those releases weren't from Echo Bridge, and probably weren't from the same materials. Others have already speculated that Echo Bridge is probably just using whatever Miramax provides them with. This would equally explain the fact that these Blu-rays have only 2.0 audio, so why do you assume that Echo Bridge is intentionally downgrading them, rather than just working with what they've been given?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

That's just it- they don't need to do any remastering, they just need to pass the transfers through unmolested.
It takes extra effort to crop to 16x9 and downmix 5.1 PCM to 2.0 DTS.

THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY downgrading their discs because they assume their target audience (K-Mart Shoppers) doesn't have 5.1 and thus wouldn't care.

So they are spending money to downgrade a release. which means they are spending money they don't need too? Their accountants must be having a heartaches by the hour. I can certainly see Echo Bridge not spending money to upgrade a transfer, but spend it needlessly to make it worse, I'm sorry but I just can not fathom that thought. I still think and say they are using whatever transfers Miramax is sending them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen
I thought the reason Shout Factory didn't get these movies was because Echo Bridge put up more money for them? If that's the case, it seems ridiculous that they would do that, then spend nothing on the actual releases. Pricing them low shouldn't be an excuse either- Blu-Ray is supposed to be a premium format that provides premium quality, and that shouldn't be compromised. This is starting to look like all those $1 DVDs of public-domain movies that claim to be "digitally remastered" but are actually taken straight from VHS tape copies!

Shout! lost it because, yes their bid was lower. Echo Bridge bid more money for they will take whatever source material was given and they would not improve on it.

The DVD companies that license titles from other companies have to and must rely on what transfer is given them by the owning company, The latest example is Twilight Time and Violent Saturday, where the DVD is letterboxed, but not anamorphic since Fox did not want to make an anamorphic transfer. MGM itself is releasing a lot of titles in their MOD program that are not widescreen as they were released and some titles are widescreen non-anamorphic all because they do not wish to make a new transfer with House of Long Shadows, The Glory Guys, and The Careless Years being examples and they own the films. Part of Olive Film's agreement with Paramount is that Paramount supply the proper transfers and the same with Criterion and the companies they work with. They really gave us a great widescreen anamorphic Night of The Hunter for the first time.

I'm not saying the Echo Bridge is blameless, for I do think that they don't care as long as they can make money off the titles and will not spend one cent more than they have too, but the group of titles they purchased was turned by Lionsgate for most of the titles did not fit their marketing strategy so they were more or less orphaned titles.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Echo Bridge works with The Asylum- they are certainly in the business of fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks