What's new

Ebert & Roeper Move On / New Hosts Announced (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
What is the new show called? My tivo didnt record the usual show so I am assuming they changed the name too.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

That good to hear.

Notice that the reader comments there echo statements here.

It's too bad that they turned the show into a mindles E! PR outlet for the film companies with souless scripted segments and useless panel discussions etc.

They missed the whole point of the show when they created the new format.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Good point Albert. Not only does this show have no soul, it also has no heart.

Given the general feedback from so many people, I give this show 5 more weeks tops! Pretty sure it will lose most of it's viewing audience, and I can't imagine it gaining any viewers in the process.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
The At the Movies website has a feedback option on the homepage.

I restated my thoughts to them. I'm sure they won't see a need to change since they are now going after a generic audience, but in any case, I let them know...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I watched the show on the Reelz channel - check your cable channel list, you might have it too. I thought Ben M. did an okay job, but cringed whenever Ben Lyons spoke. What an embarrassment!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I watched this past weekend's show and while it's still not great, some of the kinks for the first week got ironed out. The editing was much better and Ben and Ben didn't look like they were reading off a script. Still some more work to do before the show is anything worth noting, especially if they continue to pimp E! and TCM every chance they get.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I saw the new show this weekend. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it isn't great either. It has the rocky feel and production values of a new show. Lyons actually seemed like he has worked on his reviewing and is trying to take it quite seriously. There is no chemistry though. Maybe it will get better. If I stumble across it again, I'll probably watch, but I'm definitely not seeking it out.

I'm anxious to know what Roeper (and I hope Ebert is involved in some way) is planning.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the first two episodes and plan to continue watching (especially this weekend when they'll be reviewing the western Appaloosa which I'm looking forward to). I agree it's certainly not a great show but right now it's my only choice for any kind of movie review show and perhaps it will get better as it gets more episodes under its belt.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
In one story I read about the show, the producer came out to tell the two "I've had telethons that take shorter time to shoot". According to the story, it was taking 9 hours to shoot the episode.

So, not only are the critics not liking it, but the production isn't happy with it.

The second episode I found to be even worse. Why do they need those 3 other critics? It makes it seem even more obvious that the two's opinion isn't important enough.

For the first time in the show's history, I found myself fast forwarding through the reviews. I just didn't care what they had to say.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Pretty much hate all the changes, including the panel discussion.

But, shallow as it may seem (and probably is), one of the things that's bugging me the most is the staging. Standing up during the reviews seems unnatural. It's not how you watch movies either in a theater or in your home -- at least I don't! Even when they're sitting, the chairs are positioned uncomfortably close; they probably have to be careful not to tread on each others' toes. And what's the deal with the part where they're standing with some sort of waist-high divider between them? I keep expecting Ben M to ask Ben L if he wants fries with that....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In an interview about his film festival, Ebert told Time Magazine he'll be producing a new movie review program with Roeper soon. Roeper will represent the Sun-Times and Michael Phillips will represent the Tribune, returning to the classic crosstown rivalry of the "Siskel & Ebert" era. AP wire critic Christy Lemire will contribute a female perspective. As for the current "At the Movies", Ebert typed: "I have made no public comment about what Disney has done to our show."
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mary_P

Second Unit
Hey, guys, heads up!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=8254270&page=1

Or as the article at HuffPo titled it, " 'At the Movies' Fires Hosts, Brings in Grown-ups."

Oh, dear, and why did I never hear of this "Stop Ben Lyons" blog....?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mary, that's the best news I've heard in a long time. Looks as though I'm going to be re-adding the show to my Season Pass!

Rock. On. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks