What's new

Ebert & Roeper Move On / New Hosts Announced (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

That would stink for me since I like watching them and don't get Reelz.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Ya know, if Reelz posted a podcast on iTunes like ABC did before they yanked it, this would be a moot point.

I'm still shocked Ben Lyons got the call. Honestly. I'll watch an eppy or two to see how much of a trainwreck the new show is, but it's effectively dead to me at this point.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
I have great respect for Ebert's intellect and great history of reviews, however:

Not to take the side of the Big Evil Corporation over the guy recovering from cancer and surgical complications, but how much SHOULD someone who hasn't worked on the show for a couple of years now be getting paid?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Isn't it clear that Disney doesn't understand how important Ebert and Roeper's program was? They think that "retooling" it with new hosts is going to snare all of their old viewers. I doubt it will.

You can expect much more Disney promoted on this new show and fewer independent, documentary and foreign films reviewed.

It's an end of era, for sure, and Disney are big rats about it too.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Well, as I said earlier, it really isn't important to most. At least to viewers.

In many markets, if shown at all, it is burned off in the overnight hours. It is shown at midnight Sunday nights where I live. I've never seen it live, I always Tivo it. I can't imagine many people tune in.

Even back when Ebert was doing it, I would have to check the TV Guide every week, even sometimes call the station, to see when it was airing. It was on a different time every week.

The show wasn't exactly a hit. It was filler for most stations that carried it.

Retooling it can only bring in more viewers.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I probably should have phrased my comment to state that Ebert felt that Disney lowballed him during renegotiations. He felt that they just weren't dealing in good faith.

It all depends on what Disney thinks his name is worth to them. It appears they feel they can get more out of a cheaper show that leans towards more hype/advertisement - again, that's just the speculation.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
I still like the show. It was neat when there was other guest reviewers. To me, it's not so much that I agree with Roeper's views, it just gave me a snapshot at upcoming movies.

And who cares what time it airs? The only live TV is watch is sports.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
The reviews on their website aren't full reviews. They cut off toward the ending for some reason. A few reviews don't even get to the "thumbs" part. To bad, I was looking forward to this.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I used to watch Siskel & Ebert religiously in the '70s and '80s. I grew up on it. However, I think it's been 7-8 years since the show's even been on the air where I live.

Sometimes I'll watch the online review clips. I get Ebert's email newsletter, too.

And I regretfully agree that Disney can't be blamed for not wanting to pay much for a guy who hasn't been on the show in two years and will likely never be able to appear with any regularity in the future.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
After watching the first show of the revamped show, I have to say that it was difficult to watch, the balcony has definitely closed.

No Roeper and his guests weren't the same as watching the original two, but it was in that style and simple.

Now it's just another empty Entertainment Tonight/E! style show.

Ugh.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I made it through the first "revamped" show- what a debacle. Gone is all the intelligent discussion, replaced with inane, pedestrian comments appealing to the lowest common denominator. The "roundtable" bit is especially useless.

Hopefully Roeper, Ebert and company can get something back on the air soon, because At the Movies is officially dead to me now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, At least with Ebert on for those years after, it was still a very thought provoking look into the film's reviewed. Good discussions.

This new At The Movies show is a mockery of a once fantastic show.

I'll never watch it again:frowning:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you Dave. A debacle is perfect for describing this mess.

I'd rather it be off the air than to see this travesty!

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

Obviously it could never be the same, but at least with Ebert and then the Roeper/guest shows of the last year or two, we had the tradition of the show.

It wasn't the same, but at least for those of us that enjoyed (and enjoy) two film critics giving their thoughts, we had a show to watch.

That is gone.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's always this guy. Although the lazy SOB has been trying so hard to catch up on a bunch of movies from a festival and hasn't been able to write much about current releases.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't know if the show was terrible, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Ben and Ben don't have the "comfort" factor which comes from working together for a prolonged period of time. It felt like they were reading a script FAR too much (especially in the critics roundtable portion of the show).

The editing was sloppy, seemingly cutting immediately after any period the editor could find. Critics roundtable? The five of them were continually shouting and talking over one another, reminding me of MSNBC and not At the Movies. And about those reviews...Ben and Ben tell us next to nothing useful about them. I'm thinking specifically of Traitor, since I've seen it. no real mention of an actor outside of Cheadle.

They get one more week from me and that's going to be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks