Ebert on 2001 70mm showing in Chicago

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Now playing at the great Music Box Theater. Check out Ebert's report here.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I saw 2001 in 70mm at Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival last year. It was a truly awesome experience. I'll admit that the film had never "clicked" for me before, but after seeing it presented like that, it all made perfect sense. Anyone who has the chance to go to this should.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thank you for the post. And, as always, Roger Ebert hits it on the nail where this film is concerned. Curiously, though, there are a couple of errors in Mr. Ebert's report: He could not have seen the film at the Pantages in 1967; that would have been a year later. And HAL-9000's "date of birth" in the film is 1992, not 1997.

4. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

March 29 - April 18

Weekdays 7:30; Sat & Sun 2:00,7:30; Fri & Sat also @ 11:30 pm

5. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

6. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

I'm there!! For those people in the Chicagoland area, check out the weekly listings for the Music Box Theater. Over the past several weeks they have shown Clockwork Orange, Princess Bride and Raiders of the Lost Ark. They don't run for more than a week or two so get down there before they are gone. Also, I may be wrong about this (it's been about six years since I went) but I think they also show the silent version Nosferatu with a live organ piano player once a year.
    Roger Ebert mentioned their website in his article here it is Music Box Theatre
    It looks like there are several Kubrick films coming up.
    Ray

7. Jack Briggs

Which means these are happy times indeed for our Chicago-area brethren! Enjoy the film, and report back to us.

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I don't believe the film ever played the Pantages. I saw it opening week at the Warner Cinerama on Hollywood Blvd. (just a few blocks away from the Pantages). As Jack knows the night I saw the film an earthquake hit LA just prior to the showing. As a new resident of Hollywood, I was "all shook up".

9. Jack Briggs

By the film or by the 'quake? [​IMG]

10. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

Actually I saw a 70mm print of 2001 at the IMAX at the Navy Pier about seven years ago. It is true that you cannot fully appreciate this film until you've seen it presented this way. Nothing against the Music Box for it is a great little 'art house' theater but it cannot hold a candle to the IMAX in terms of pure presentation. I moved from Chicago a year ago, does anybody know if the IMAX at the Navy Pier is still in operation? I'm in the St. Louis area currently and have a serious desire to see the new 3D IMAX film about the shuttle mission. Too bad we only have an Omnimax.

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

12. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

I also doubt the premiere was at the Pantages. The actual roadshow run was at the Warner Cinerama (AKA Hollywood Pacific). I don't believe the premiere would have been held at the Pantages (a non-cinerama theatre).

13. Jack Briggs

You're correct, Paul.

Meanwhile, let the people at Warner know that, if the studio was planning to reissue this film wide based on the receipts from the 70mm screenings, they might have considered, you know, promoting the film. Hardly anyone knows the film is on a reissue presently--largely because there have been zero ads in the newspapers and absolutely no mentions on television.

What in hell is Warner thinking? MGM should have control over the film again. A disgrace.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. Jack Briggs

I'm basing it on the fact that during all past reissues of the film, including its 1996 70mm limited run, MGM paid for ads and did some good promotion--at Hollywood's Cinerama Dome, the studio provided glass cases of 2001 memorabilia for display.

In previous reissues, MGM really gave the film some promotion.

Yeah, it seems rather schizoid of the studio to strike new 70mm prints as well as remixing the sound all to no end: If people don't know ya built it, they ain't gonna come.

Again, disgraceful.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

But that was six years ago - how many of the people running MGM now are the same people or are of the same mindset as the people running MGM then? MGM's recent behavior suggests that they wouldn't bother restoring it or doing anything else - although it's quite possible that they would see an obvious marketing opportunity for "2001 in 2001", we are talking about the UPN of movie studios here. They'd probably screw it up worse than Warner Brothers did.

17. Jack Briggs

Ah, maybe you're right, Jason. But my viscera tell me otherwise (which, of course, is what I want to believe!).

But, I mean, c'mon: It's playing in large markets with nary a promotional spot. Roger Ebert wrote a column to that effect back in December, asking pretty much the same thing I am here.

It's as if Warner is displaying open contempt for the film.

18. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've seen it at theaters several times, but IMAX would be unbelievable. I sure hope they show it again at the IMAX near me.

19. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

Jack, I think it's because 2001 is for all intents and purposes considered a 'cult' film by the studios. There aren't enough IMAX or Cinerama theaters (they way it needs to be seen!!) around to promote the spending needed to promote the film. Besides the studio heads now see 2001 as passe', it is so last year! It's now 2002, besides none of the hair styles are fashionable today. I take that back, J. Lo was sportin' a pretty retro doo at the Oscars.

20. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Now I'm afraid of seeing the film lol

I must confess I've never seen 2001 in my 25 years. I've always meant to, but I've never gotten around to it. Last week, I cracked and ordered the DVD. But reading Ebert's article is making me think twice.

Should I postpone viwing this at home until I've had the chance to see it in a theater?