What's new

Ebert and Roeper's Worst 10 of 2003 (1 Viewer)

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
I must say...the worst movie I saw last year was Once upon a time in Mexico....it was the worst because it's predecessor was so good....BIG disappointment. Bad Boys 2 was just WAY to long and the gross scenes were just unnecessary. Just Married sucked pretty hard....even on HBO HD while I was bored.

LXG was just an average action flick that could've been good. I refuse to watch Gigli. Jeepers Creepers 2 is just a fun movie, what do people expect from these kind of movies? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of my favorites of last year, very intense. The second worst movie I saw last year was Return of the King, what a stinker!

P.S. Can you guys guess which movie I lied about? :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't quite go that far (loving it completely, that is), but I was disappointed to see Ebert include a film that really went for it, that said "fuck-all to mainstream acceptance, let's make something different". I'm not prepared to say it's a great film (I kinda agree with Ron Rosenbaum's review in the NY Observer, but I liked it a good deal more than he), but it doesn't deserve to be grouped with such pandering, lowest common denominator crap as Bad Boys II, Charlie's Angels, and From Justin To Kelly.

The truth is that Ebert doesn't get Dylan, doesn't like Dylan, and has never, ever passed up an opportunity to trash him, either directly or via some contrived tangent. Likewise Simon and Garfunkel. Likewise, a great many rock-n-rollers from that period. I think Ebert's got an ax to grind over something here. I'd love to know what.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I really liked Jeeper Creepers 2 and LXG. The rest I haven't seen the rest but plan on happily buying the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. the worst film I saw this year was Bruce Almighty. I can't even finish it. What a pile of crap.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I guess Brown Bunny doesn't count as a 2003 flick since it hasn't had a general release yet.

The worst film I saw last year was "Legally Blonde 2". The first was cute, but the second was just awful. I know Ebert's review of that was pretty harsh, I wonder why it didn't make his list?

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
How about cabin fever? That was a bad movie.
A view from a top was also bad.

For what is was I enjoyed TCM, the end got weak with the magical transporitng bad guy.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Ebert seems to go out of his way to dismiss a lot of acts. When he reviewed "Year of the Horse," he took time out to diss the music Neil Young was playing with the band. Perhaps artists like Dylan and Neil Young became popular and squeezed some of his favorites out of the charts and he never forgave them. He might as well be saying "how can you listen to that crap?" like a typical parent. His most wrong-headed remark was in his "8 Mile" review where he seems to hold the angry nature of rap and lack of melody against it. Rap? Angry? Get outta town! At least he wasn't like Rex Reed, who seems to think that rappers are talentless, and rap has no value, which is wrong on both counts.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Texas Chainsaw Remake as worst movie??? I can see it not being for everyone, but I wouldnt consider it worst movie of the year...

Ebert obviously hasnt seen Bloody Murder... You want to see a really bad movie and really know what bad is??? Go rent that...

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, Ebert really really liked the original film and felt it ideally achieved its realistic terror and shock as opposed to the remake being a contrived excuse for brainless gore and depravity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks