What's new

ebay's fraud insurance is a lie! (1 Viewer)

Marius_B

Auditioning
Suure, they offer fraud insurance, but just try to collect it after getting ripped off by a thieving seller and see how easy it is to get your money. Let me tell you my story.

So I've been cheated by a seller and I filed a fraud claim where I'm entitled to getting $150 back from ebay.

First, I had to file a claim 30 and 60 days of auction close.
Then, I had to file another claim between 60 and 90 days of auction close.
After receiving a confirmation email on 26th (about a week after I faxed them the form). I thought I'd hear back from them when they're done with their research and wish to inform me of the outcome, but no.

Then, on July 4th at 3:02 am! (Friday) they sent me an email asking for information I already provided them, and say that I must respond within 72 hours or my claim will be denied! They give me until 3:02 am on Monday to respond to an email sent to my work address (ends with .com)! They sent me the email at 3 am of the first day of a 3-day weekend!!

That really looks bad. That looks to me like a deliberate attempt to swindle their way out of making the payment. So I've been tricked out of getting my money back. First a thieving seller and now ebay itself.

I wish to warn people not to take their insurance program seriously.

Marius

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Have you got any lawyer friends??

This sounds VERY deliberate to me!

While it's only $150, it's your money and Ebay won't rush to pay you back!

I hope you fight them.

Brent

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
How did you pay? If you used a credit card, I'd go thru their dispute process instead of ebay's.

Ebay has to make it a pain, or a lot more people would try to get refunds, even some who received the item. Remember ebay is not the one that has your $150. The emails you got might have been from an automated system.

James T

Screenwriter
Get the FBI involved(the actual auction, not the eBay insurance thing). They take these internet fraud cases seriously. Also, if you paid with a money order or cheque and any other form of payment through your post office, then claim mail fraud with them.

Tough breaks for you. Hope it all works out.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I have a similar case, where I purchased an OOP dvd via PayPal about 3 weeks ago, and the seller hasn't responded to any (except one threatening email) messages. I checked his feedback, and the only reason I won't leave bad feedback is I'm afraid he'll leave negative feedback in retaliation and not send my DVD. Is there anything I should do? James T, getting the FBI involved sounds intriguing, but is it time-consuming and/or expensive? Please help!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the FBI has a website specifically for reporting internet fraud. They'll forward it to your local PD probably first.. but they do help as much as they can. Report it for sure. A friendly call from the FBI should wake anyone up :)

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

BillFank

Auditioning
"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Gregg, You should find a different analogy. I have a son who is mentally retarded and this program gives him a chance to compete. Unfortunateley, not everyone is as bright and capable as yourself. Special olympics really has little to do with competition.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Sorry if it offended you, it's an internet quote seen in plenty of sigs. Changed it for you though.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Speaking of fraud, that guy that sells "information" on how to "free" electronics keeps popping up under different names. The thread seems to stay open for at least a few hours then turns into an "invalid item."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks