Ebay-the way to go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

If anybody has had good or bad experiences with purchasing speakers from Ebay, let me know. The have some really low prices so I am looking into buying from them. Is it reliable, safe, ect.?

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I've never been burned on Ebay though many im sure have, and have bought many things there.. The one good thing about Ebay is being able to see feedback on an individual. I don't even bid on an item unless the seller has 15+ or so positive feedback.. Mind you, you're always taking a chance buying online anywhere..

Craig

3. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Thanks Craig, this is a stoopid question probably, but is there any type of return policy?

4. jerry davis

jerry davis Auditioning

Return policies are up the the individual seller. But it should be noted that no seller will pay return shipping, which is usually high on speakers. I buy a lot off of eBay and like the previous poster, only buy from sellers that have good ratings.

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

ebay is not a business but a collective of individuals selling items. ebay is basically a forum much like this one where buyers and sellers come together. it is up to the specific seller as to whether they have a return policy or not. some do and some don't. just be wary of any seller with little to no feedback or sunglasses next to their user id. this signifies that they are new to ebay. i've been burned in the past by making ignorant decisions which in retrospect were "too good to be true" though for the most part i got everything sorted out. now that i've paid closer attention to member's feedback and refused to bid on anything from a seller with less than double digit feedback...i've had nothing but good experiences.

kevin t

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

my advice is, take a look at the spec listed. compare it to the spec of the manufacturer's site. if there was something wrong, it is suspect.

i got burned for 400 bucks when i tried to buy a pair of vr-m50s, then i realized that the bastard who stole my money didnt even wrote correct spec.

and make sure you pay with credit card.

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I've had two experiences on ebay with speakers. One good, one still in the works but not looking so good. The above stated info is all good and I wish I had used a credit card, as Felix said, on this last transaction. The first guy was great and even emailed me later to check if all was well. The second guy has not responded to my emails regarding the "not yet received" item and hasn't sent me the insurance info either. Both sellers have great feedback though, so I'm hoping it all works out well. In the end, it's a chance you take. Good luck!

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I got my superones from there, good deal on price and shipping. Towers are $$ to ship, but I sold a pair to a guy and split shipping with him - he said they got there in A1 shape.

9. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    When considering an item on eBay over $50, I'll first e-mail the seller asking some specifics like "does it work?", "have you had any problems with it?", "do you guarantee it?" etc.

Depending on how they respond, I may or may not bid.

10. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I would have to shy away from ebay on big purchases like that... I recently got burned on a portable CD player. I am out only $30 dollars on the deal, but still $30 is $30. I would hate to imagine getting burned for several hundred dollars on a set of speakers.
    You may want to check UBID.COM
    I know others may disagree, but my dealings with them have all been O.K.

11. Jeff AW

Jeff AW Stunt Coordinator

ColinM,

What shipping company did you use? UPS for what I have sold was hit or miss.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Ebay works, but also you can get burned!

1)- Always read the add carefully.

2)- Always check the seller feedback.

3)- Always email the seller and ask questions, lots of them, see #4.

4)- Pay attention to his response time and if he answers your questions completly, when emailing him/her have list ready with all your questions so as not to have continue to email again and again. Many have mulitpul auctions going on, and one line question here and their from the same possible buyer can get bother some when you have a bazzion of them everyday.
    Be clear and polite and try to get all you information needed into the first email to the seller.

5)- Always on larger sales, (75.00 and over) email ~{a buyer of one of his recent auctions}~ to see how it was handeled and if things went smoothly.... Email more than one buyer if you like. Many buyers (don't mind) sharing their experiences, especialy the bad ones as their pissed at this person...

6)- On larger dollar items, pay with a Credit Card if possible. MO's wire transfers, etc makes it tuff to get your cash back, if not impossible if you get taken. Credit cards offer a way out sometimes if a fast one has been pulled on you by the seller...

7)- If something appears to be to good to be true, (highend audio thats brand new),,, many times it is! Not always, but if you follow the steps above it makes it much more diffucult to get screwed if you do your hom work.....

Purchases:::
    I've bought allot of things audio threw Ebay and the biggest problem I run into is with used equipment and peoples scale of condition (vary greatly)! Photos can lie by making something look better or worse than it really is. Also look for adds with pic's of the (actual piece) up for auction not copy or cut and paste pictures.
    And ask those questions!!!

Most people are pretty honest, and some major steals are their to be had, but there are (the few) that run wild at ebay and plan to scam you from the start. Do your ground work before sending your hard earned money and the odds get cut way down on getting screwed!

Regards
    Geoff

13. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Also, for big dollar items, get a phone number and talk to the seller. Email alone in not enough for me. The largest item for me was an ultra10 Sun computer for $400 and I called the guy to see what sort of person he was (on the phone at least). Get clear pictures of the actual item. A seller that takes the time to talk to a buyer, post nice pictures of the actual item and answer questions to your satisfaction (also has the good ratings and what's been mentioned above) will most likely turn out to be good. This may sound like a pain but it's all you have. Once you've sent payment all bets are off and if the other guy wants to screw you he can. For the next few weeks you'll be on the phone expalining to your credit card company how you screwed up and now need there help. That's an even bigger hassle than doing the calls and research on a seller in the first place. Good luck.

14. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Harmanaudio sells on Ebay. You can't go wrong with them.