Ebay Problem-Am I getting screwed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hey guys,
    so I've been looking into getting a Geforce 2 mx video card on ebay and flashing the ROM in a PC to make it compatible with my powermac so I can replace my aging ATI Rage Pro 128 so I can take advantage of Quartz extreme in OS 10.2. Anyhow, I found one. The guy had a feedback of 7, all positives. I went ahead and bid. I won the auction and he accepted credit cards through Ebay payments. I paid for the item immediately after I won the auction. That was late on Friday morning around 1am EST. Since winning the auction, I've sent the seller several emails but have not recieved a response. I have no idea what is going on. For all I know he could have shipped the card and it could be in transit as we speak, he could have had something come up that made him unable to get to his email for a while, or he could be trying to pull a fast one on me. In my latest email I said that as much as I believe he is acting in good faith, that if I don't either recieve the item or at the very least an email explaining what's going on by 5pm est Friday, I'm gonna start the process of getting my money back and filing a complaint with Ebay. Lucikly, I put it on my USAA Credit Card and I have no doubt they will resolve and charges but I'm curious on what everyone thinks. The only other option I can think of is trying to call him but I'm not sure that would do any good either. What do you guys think? Is waiting a week long enough?Hopefully the card will arrive and I can chalk the mix up to email problems or something but I'm starting to wonder. I had a bad experience on ebay once with a buyer who never contacted me(despite a phone call) and the facts of this case are eerily similar.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I don't see any reason for concern. It's only been a few days. How often do is one expected to check his e-mail?

3. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Well, if you have an auction going, checking sometime a day or two after it ends is not too much to ask IMO.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I understand both points there could be a million and one plus reasons that someone doesnt have access to email for a few days, heck for all you know his/her computer could have gone down giving them no access to email. I would recommend waiting a little bit more to see what happens. I had a laptop for sale on Ebay and someone ended that Auction early on Friday and I have not heard anything yet from the buyer and I too worry every time this happens. I am sure the individual will turn up but if they dont file a complaint with ebay against them, leave negative feedback, and contact your credit card company about the fraud.

KyleS

5. Dave Bennett

Thanks guys. I'll do that. Hopefully I'll hear back from him. The item he was selling was the exact item I was looking for(this particular model of Geforce2mx works flawlessly in a Mac once flashed) and I got a great price on it($34 shipped) so I'd really like for it to go smoothly. If he doesn't get to me by Friday I'll probably give him the weekend and then as a last resort try calling. If nothing happens by then, then I'll take appropriate measures.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Don't worry, I've been in your same situation and then the next day it would show up on my doorstep. A little communication would be nice however, I mean, at least tell me you got my money and are sending it!

7. Dave Bennett

Well nothing to worry about after all. I got an email this morning from the seller and he's been out of town. He apoligized and told me he'd ship the card out Friday at the latest. I replied telling him that it's no problem and apologized for sound slightly snippy in the last email I sent. In any case, looks like it will work out fine. [​IMG]

8. Dave Bennett

An update.
    I STILL don't have the graphics card. He initially said he was gonna send it Thursday or Friday(24th or 25th). I then emailed him again a few days later and he told me he mailed it out Monday the 28th via UPS. He didn't provide any tracking info saying he wasn't given any. It is now Monday November 4th, and unless the UPS guy has not already come by for the day, I have not recieved it. It is possible it is sitting in my mail room and they neglected to give me a package slip. In any case, if it's not here by tomorrow when I go to dinner I'm gonna ask the mailroom to check to see if perhaps it is sitting there and I was never told. If it is not, I plan on taking appropriate measures with Ebay. I paid via credit card so it shouldn't be too hard to dispute the charge. UPS.com said an item shipped on Monday from his location should have arrived by October 31st. I figure giving him 3 extra business days is enough. I've never had a bad experience on ebay as a buyer but I think this may be my first.

9. Dave Bennett

Well I asked the mail clerk and there was nothing waiting for me. If it's not here by this time tomorrow I need to figure out how to get my money back. Anyone ever have to deal with a situation like this?

10. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

That's a total crock if he says he never got a tracking # from UPS. EVERYTHING they ship has a tracking number. He's lying. Call USAA. Get your money back. Slam him on feedback. F-him.

11. Dave Bennett

That's what I plan on doing Tom. He had good feedback but I guess that doesn't pass for much these days. If it's not here by tomorrow, he's going to incur the rath [​IMG]

12. Dave Bennett

Well I went ahead and fired off a polite but firm email. Names were removed to protect the innocent [​IMG]
    XXXX,
    The card has still not arrived. I will wait to see if it arrives tomorrow but if it does not then there is only one valid reason for this. What address did you send it to? My shipping address was specified as XXXXXXX. I suppose that it's possible that Billpoint goofed up and listed my billing address as the shipping address. Second, according to UPS.com an item shipped from your location in Illinois on Monday the 28th, should have arrived by Thursday or Friday at the latest. As of the end of the day today, it has not arrived. I will see if it arrives tomorrow, and call my home to see if perhaps it was mistakenly shipped there. If it is not there and does not arrive here by the end of the business day tomorrow, I will be contacting my credit card company to dispute the charge as well as filing a formal complaint with ebay. I still believe that you want to complete this transaction but, the auction ended over two weeks ago and since I have still not received the item, it is reasonable to think that there is the possibility of fraud. As I said, I really want the card so if it should arrive within a day or two, I will be more than willing to drop the complaint. However, to cover myself from loss I need to take appropriate steps. Since I have not received the item nor any tracking information, I have no way of knowing if you actually shipped it or even intend to do so. At any rate, I felt that it would be wise to inform you of the situation. Thank You and I hope the card arrives tomorrow. I've never had a bad Ebay experience as a buyer and I hope I can continue that trend.

13. Dave Bennett

Imagine my suprise this afternoon when I checked my mail to find a package slip in there. Low and behold the card arrived. So I emailed him back and informed him and then told him that I'd leave feedback. I left positive feedback but i did say something about that he was slow to ship and respond to my emails. Oh well. The card works but not flawlessly in my mac, but that's a whole other story. [​IMG]