Ebay: How do I post a pic next to my description?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Yes, I know Ebay has forums but they're aren't many replies. I've also done an hours worth of searching on Ebay, and Google and have come up with no answers on how to post a picture next to the description instead of having just that green box.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

If you don't want it to appear in the space below the description, you need to insert the image using HTML code. You can also use it to apply styles and different color text to the item description. Use an HTML editor and just copy and paste the raw data into the item description area.
    By the way, I always put a link to an image at the bottom of the description because when people do a search the little picture icon will show up. It's my opinion that some people will pass over auctions if they don't think there's a picture to show off. Since I insert the actual images of what I'm selling with HTML, I always include an unrelated image in the image link on the selling page. At this time of year, it's an animated GIF file of a Christmas tree. Any other time of the year, it's an American flag.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    If you use Ebay's free (1 pic only) picture service that allows you to upload one pic from your PC, it will load that pic next to your main search description instead of the cartoon green camera.

Easy and free...you can find the upload feature whenever you use their selling tool.

Alfer

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I think the images that display on the search screen are gallery images, which cost 25 cents.

5. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    delete

6. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm still scratching my head here.
    Here's a link to an auction. What else, needs to be done to get that picture to show up OUTSIDE of my auction, when just the description is listed.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1979274801
    I'm using both IPIX and my own local server to display these pics.
    It seems 80% of people on Ebay know how to do this and I can't get any help from Ebay. It's very strange!
    BTW, if any of the replies below answered my question, my apologies but I still can't figure it out.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

7. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Jeff,
    Based on the link you provided from Ebay, my original answer still applies. Use Ebay's free picture download feature, and it will provide a pic just like you ask for..Here's a link to my wife's Ebay auction..we uploaded the pic to Ebay picture service.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...902670258&rd=1

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Jeff, you need to use HTML to insert the image within the description like that seller has. He's gotten a little more elaborate by using incorporating the image into a table. On the selling page, there's a little help link to the right of the description area that tells you how to add an image using HTML.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Alf, that I know how to do. What I mean is this:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...t&BasicSearch=
    Before you even click on the item's description, and go into the auction, you have little pictures beside the description...NOT in the auction.
    Michael, I think I know what you mean. I need to put this line in the description field:
    (I removed the brackets)
    div style="position: absolute; top: 102px; left: 18px"img src=http://your_picture_URL.jpg/div"
    The only problem is the description field is 45 characters only.
    Jeff

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Jeff, don't try pasting that text into the item description. You can't enter HTML into the item description field. The small image you are talking about on the link above is called the Gallery picture. Assuming to have the image hosted on the Internet somewhere, you would enter the URL for it on the seller's page where it says, "Gallery picture URL." There's an additional 25 cent charge to list an item with a gallery picture. A lot of people don't like paying it and that's why most auctions don't have one showing in the search screen.

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Thanks Michael and everyone else!