Ebay...help! Do you think I'm going to get screwed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eve T, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Okay, here is the situation. I listed an expensive collection of Misfits records on Ebay. The auction ended today at like 1,168 dollars. (Much less than I would have liked to have but what the hey)

I listed in my auction that anyone with negative feedback email me before bidding and let me know the circumstances. Someone with I think it was 14 negatives bid. She emailed me AFTER she bid but let me know the circumstances which was this:

She was a seller and her husband moved out and took the computer (his) and she was unable to get in contact with her buyers and let them know the situation. She finally got into contact with them but by that time they had left negative feedbacks. I checked her feedback and it was all under selling not buying. She had over 100 and something positives on being a buyer. She told me she would not bid on this auction if she didn't have the money to pay for it with.

Well at the last moments of the auction she was being outbid and she finally became the high bidder and won the auction. My auction clearly states that these items are to be shipped with manditory insurance. She is writing me back and forth and is excited that she won because this is going to be a gift for her boyfriend who has been wanting many of the albums listed in my collection. THEN she emails and ask if she can meet up with me to get the albums because she doesn't live very far away from me and doesn't mind the drive. I email her back and say no, I would feel safer if you just mailed me the US postal money order for the auction and allowed me to ship you these items. Adruptly the emails stopped. So I go talking to my friends and they said what the heck, let her come up and get the albums, just make sure you meet at a public place and get a US postal money order. (they can't be faked and if they can it's a federal offense that way) So I give in and say okay and email her to let her know if she wants to pick them up this weekend like her email said that it's acceptable to me but that I would need her to email me or call me (I gave her my cell number) and let me know and that if she needed directions to let me know as well. No response. Does this sound like someone that was moments ago so anxious to get these albums? I emailed her an invoice via Ebay with the same message on it and to phone me or email me. (payment is due within 7 days of my auctions end) I'm trying to play it cool and give her the benifit of the doubt but I'm starting to worry on this one guys and gals.
    I don't want to get ripped off. I told her in my email and in the ebay invoice that if she didn't want to come pick them up after all that she would need to email me the money order so I could ship these out to her and gave her a shipping price so she could add it onto the auctions final price.
    How long till I really start worrying? Ebay gives me an option of selling to the highest under bidder, it's called "second chance" but I have to wait 7 days before I can do that (I really needed this money bad which is the only reason I finally put them up on auction)and she knew that. The final cost of listing this item after Ebay takes their share out was around 40 dollars. Will Ebay refund that off my credit card if she turns out to be what I fear the most....a DEAD beat bidder?
    What should I do and how long should I wait before I email her again. I don't want to be a nag as that would tick me off if I were a buyer.

2. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Anyone? Anyone at all? I haven't sold very many things on Ebay so I kind of don't know what to do or expect. I don't want to get my head carved like a Halloween pumpkin by some madman/woman that wants my stuff which is why I said if she were to come up it would have to be a public place. Sigh this is one big pickle.

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

You can request a credit from Ebay If they don't pay up. I had this problem with a bidder and they agreed to reimburse me for my auction fees, so I didn't have to go that route.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

While I feel for you and can see where you are coming from I do have something that I need to say. If I were the buyer and the seller told me that I couldn't come to pick up the items in person this would be a huge red flag to me. This pretty much says to me, I am going to rip you off and take your money and run. I understand that you later changed your mind and said that she could pick them up but the damage may have already been done.

Just my two pennies.

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Also if you wait it out a few days and this person does not get back to you. You first have to file a no payment claim with ebay and I believe you have to wait ten days before you can do so, and then you have to wait some more before e-bay will do anything about refunding your listing fee.

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Chris-
    That may be, but Eve's listing clearly stated that if anyone had any questions, that they should e-mail her. If this person wanted to pick the items up in person, she should of e-mailed Eve in advance of placing the bid, and asked if it she would accept that.
    Also Eve should take notice that this person does indeed have negative feedback on "Buying" as well as "selling" 3 that I could see.
    Maybe I am going on a little too much about this, but eBayers that do not follow the most simplistic of instructions, really give me the red ass [​IMG]

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Sidebar
    Eve, I'm about 95% sure that I saw you on Southport Rd the other day in your yellow Dart. It was last weekend and "you" got stuck waiting for a front loader or something to move (road construction) while we were waiting to pull out of my mom's (former) home (Buckridge) that got wiped out by the tornado (my buddy and I were moving her stuff).
    Unless you sold that car or no longer live on the southside of Indy.
    I thought that was really weird seeing someone I sort of know but not really at all just by chance like that. It took several minutes and I almost yelled out "Eve" just to see if the person responded, but that seemed well into the freaky area so I didn't. [​IMG]
    Still, if it was you it's a bizarre coincidence. Obviously the car stands out and I take note when I find fellow Indy HTFers on the board. [​IMG] I wonder how many other HTFers I pass every day and don't even know it.
    BTW, I think Chris has a point about maybe freaking her out with that response. It does have that sound of "what, you want to actually touch the merchandise before giving me money? No, trust me it's all fine, can I have the money first though?" [​IMG] Ebay puts most people on guard like that anyway. I would mostly consider that a dead deal now and move on to the 2nd bidder right away.

9. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

10. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Yes, Seth, that was me.
    And btw that is exactly how ebay is supposed to work. Someone sends you the money order or whatever form of payment, and you send them the goods. You as a buyer protect yourself with the form of payment you send. US postal money orders are the most easily traced forms of money orders and easily tracked, and if someone tries to screw with you, the government gets involved.
    I mean, what was I supposed to think when that was asked of me after auctions end? This person I'm dealing with could be anybody. But within a couple minutes of saying no I emailed right back and said oh what the heck, gave her my phone number and place of business where she could meet me. A public place! So if I didn't want her to touch the merchandise I have a funny way of showing it. [​IMG]

11. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

12. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

13. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

shes seen everything shes wanted to see. I mean I took pics of everything. Even gave the etching numbers engraved in the records, even went as far as to say that if she needed a pic of each individual item or had any questions to email me. I was very honest and forthcoming in this auction. I gave all the info I could possibly give. I even was nice enough after the auction was over to throw in a nice rare copy of a magazine with a Misfits article autographed by the band free of charge at that because it's a gift for her boyfriend. I mean she has my phone number, address etc. If I'm going to rip her off I think it's clear to see that she could easily send in the authorities. Items were going to be sent with insurance which I declared in my auction as manditory because I wanted assurance that they got it so I didn't get burned or them. I play things on the safe side, I get a little red flag that goes up when people want to change the rules after the rules have already been made clear. Know what I mean jelly bean? [​IMG]
    Edit: so what should I do? wait a few days and then say look I talked to some people who said I probablly should have just agreed in the first place to let you come pick them up..nobody has ever asked of such a thing from me before so I was kind of leery about it. Hope you understand.
    Should I say that?
    I mean I kind feel boxed in a corner here, I followed all the rules, she didn't which makes me ticked off that I'm put in this position. Should I say, come by all means come and bring a friend or whoever with you. Sigh, I just don't know. This really depresses me.

14. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Eve ...
    Looking at the bidding on the auction, this person really wants this item. Usually people that just snipe for no reason and do not plan on following through, do not bid the way this person did. Following the item and making sure they get it ...
    So, I would not worry, I mean this auction just eneded today. Realize that some people take time to respond to e-mails. I have a good feeling this person will buy this from you [​IMG]

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I hope so. I'll just wait a day or so before emailing again. I don't want to seem pestery. She said she wanted to pick it up this weekend, so I was atleast hoping she would call with a yes, I'll pick it up, or a no I won't pick it up or atleast something. I have to wait 7 days before I can offer it to another bidder if she doesn't respond to my emails. If she doesn't...I sure hope the other bidder still wants it because it will save me the time of relisting it etc.

16. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I too say that if someone wants to see it in person before buying it, that's cool with me. They bring the money order, I bring the goods. I get to pick the place - some place really public like a mall would work. Other than that, I'd be really leery if someone said that I couldn't and they lived relatively close.

17. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I did tell her to come to the mall and meet me within 2 mintues of saying I'd rather not. So I emailed back quickly saying yes, it was fine to come and gave her the place where she could meet me and asked if that was cool. I still haven't heard from her.
    If I was going to rip her off I wouldn't have given her my address, place of business to meet at (I work at the mall in the daytime) and my phone number.
    I don't know what else I could say to her. Obviously I'm legit or I wouldn't have offered that information.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

From your first post:

Your question answers your first question—that is, the one in the thread title.

So, your attitude should have been, all along, Next!

19. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Guess so. [​IMG]

20. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Eve,
    I definitely see your concern, The other lady should have followed the rules of the auction but at the same time she probably is thinking what the heck, she only lives 3 hours away and I do not trust the mailing service. USPS wreck things all the time, I will just ask if I can pick them up. She does ask and you say "no" and then quickly say "yes", now that sounds fishy to me. If I were her I would definitely be questioning your motives.
    I mean you can just insure it and be safe no matter what, but the other person who wants the actual merchandise gets screwed if it is damaged. The money can be replaced but the records can't be.
    Give it another day or so and see what happens.
    You are right you can't trust just anyone nowadays and anyone can fabricate anything and make fake pictures of stuff.
    Anyway, that's how I see it.
    Good luck and I hope everything works out.