eBay DVD purchases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_Standley, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I was wondering about purchasing DVD's on eBay. I was going to pick up the entire set of of The Soprano's 1-4(finally) so I went on to eBay to check and see if I might be able to get a deal on someones watched once set. When looking for a decent deal and filtering through the DVD-R and DVD+R versions I noticed several asian releases that I havent really noticed before. These sets claim to be the asian release of the U.S. versions but are considerably less money than the others. I dont normally buy DVD's unless they are the real U.S. realease versions, but the price of the enitre collection wasnt bad. Does anyone have any information about the asian releases such as quality or if they are just burned rip offs.

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Probably pressed rip-offs. The Asians have done this for years with videogame soundtracks. Hell, the pirates even have their own labels like EverAnime and SonMay [​IMG]

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Yea, Ive seen Asian X-Files Season Box sets going on there for $20 compared to the ebay priced region 1 versions.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

You can get some fantastic DVD deals on eBay, but just be very careful about what you're bidding on.

If you're even remotely unsure that the product is legit, either drop the seller an email (asking very specifically if it's a Region 1 DVD) or just move on to a more trustworthy seller.

5. Howard Clarke

You can check the sellers feedback also. If the DVD is not legit there will most likely be some negitive feedback about being a DVD r or something to that effect. Also look for a note in the description about the disc being compatible in "most" players. That is a dead give away that it is probably a copy.

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

There's nothing wrong with purchasing used DVDs on EBay. In some cases in you can find some pretty decent deals.

I agree. If the description of the item doesn't have any red flags ("compatible in most players", "asian markings on box but discs are same as R1 release") and if the seller has nearly 100% positive feedback then you're probably safe.

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

If the discs contain Chinese subtitles and are R0 or Region 0 then they are most likely bootlegs.

8. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Just be careful because some sellers put in very fine print that their DVDs are Asian Collector's Editions (etc.) and sometimes they won't even list them as such, but if you look at the picture, you can see foreign language on the packaging.

Also, if you see a DVD deal that seems to good to be true -- like a DVD box set of a great show that is new and only has 1 day to go -- that no one has bid on yet, that's usually a red flag. The exception to be noted is if the auction was only a 24-hour auction. Also, if the seller misspelled something in the title, that can help you get a great deal.

Find sellers with great Buy-It-Now prices and great feedback and bookmark them. I noticed a seller with super-low Buy-It-Now prices on brand new and recently-released DVD titles. Even though the seller didn't have anything I wanted at the time, I bookmarked her page and kept checking back. I ended up getting a completely legit US R1 copy of Frasier season 2 -- still in the shrinkwrap -- for $24.99. That included shipping! Someone else got Starksy & Hutch season 1 from her for the same price.

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ? if it said dvd-r or dvd+r, then right there means that it was a bootleg. the +/- formats are for home dvds, not commercially produced dvds. also, if you see a cover to a dvd that isnt the one you normally see, it is probably a bootleg. also look for a 'dts' logo where there should not be one.

CJ

10. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I've found a couple of great R1 deals on new, unopened season sets (ST:Voyager:S1 and The X-Files:S8), just be sure to check the seller's feedback before purchasing.

11. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

Not applicable to box sets necessarily, but another giveaway for bootlegs on eBay (along with Region 0, chinese subtitles, etc.) is the comment "no insert card." You see that a lot on bogus Disney discs.

When ever I auction off my used discs I ALWAYS put "genuine region 1, not a bootleg" somewhere in the description and I have never failed to sell a disc.

12. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Why does everyone automatically assumed 'Region 0' = Bootleg? (I don't mean chinese). Everytime someone says 'Region 0' people scream BOOTLEG!!!

Bovine Stuff.

I hold in my sweaty hands several UK and OZ imports that are all R0, and are all very much legit (Dangermouse, Bottom Live and others) and I doubt very much Amazon.uk, HMV.uk and EzyDVD.au are in the habit of selling boots are they?

13. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

One has to read everything in the description carefully to make sure the item isn´t a bootleg. If the seller is located somewhere in Asia don´t make a bid. If the description says "compatible with region 1", don´t make a bid.

Do some Google research on the item and mail the seller with questions to confirm item version first before making a bid.

14. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

One has to read everything the description carefully to make sure the item isn´t a bootleg. If the seller is located somewhere in Asia don´t make a bid. If the description says "compatible with region 1", don´t make a bid.

Do some Google research on the item and mail the seller with questions to confirm item version first before making a bid.

15. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Funny you mentioned that because I sold the Sopranos Season 1-3 boxsets just now on Ebay. [​IMG]

Regarding the asian releases, I would advise against it unless the retail price for the US version is extremely high. The US version of all the X-Files boxset runs up to $900 so I decided to pick up the asian release off ebay. I picked up seasons 1-7 at a steal for $150 shipped. I had a few problems with playing the discs - 3 discs out of 5 boxsets so far didnt work. They either dont play entirely or there is a problem with the video making it unplayable. However for this particular collection I am not complaining considering the price I paid. This is an exception for me though considering the retail price on the US version but I would never look at any asian releases again. The quality in certain cases is not up to par and sometimes I see signs of actual wear/scuff marks on the discs indicating they are not brand new. Its a 50/50 chance, it might or might not work so I would advise against it.

16. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Dang just missed it.[​IMG] if anyone else is going to sell let me know.[​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback guys. I normally stay away from overseas releases anyways but the just as said above, the price sounded so good.

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

One thing to watch...

I recently saw the OOP and very wanted 'Thursday'going for $27 so I checked it out and almost bid on it when I noticed it said .....

"DVD copy". I was early in the morning and I almost didnt see it.

Ive never had a problem with any of the 50 or so DVDs Ive gotten off ebay.

18. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I not knowing any better bought Angel: Season 3 on EBay for $29 a year ago. I should have known something was up.

The quality was the exact same as the official region 1 edition I bought last month.

I just threw the older set in the garbage. I mean there is no way to really re-sell an item like that.

19. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

There's been a rash of DS9 DVD set auctions on eBay for anywhere between $19.99 and $29.99. All of them indicate points of origin from Asian countries, and all of them require payment only by PayPal. I've avoided those completely and stuck with the legitimate U.S. Region 1 sets.

But other DVD purchases I've gotten through eBay have been good overall. One was for a Region 0 Twin Peaks pilot DVD, and that went really smoothly. Another one was for the DS9 Season 2 set through a dealer in Florida, and that went pretty well.