eBay dealer — is this a scam?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by cafink, Jul 7, 2003.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Hi all. I recently was interested in purchasing a relatively rare laserdisc from eBay, but it wasn't long before I was outbid and the disc in question ended up selling for well over a hundred dollars. I was rather disappointed as it was a title I really wanted and as I said, it seems hard to come by.

I was checking my e-mail this afternoon and found this:

2. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I'd be hesitant about the word "copy". Is it a bootleg or did he just have 2 laserdiscs?

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have got one of these when I purchased my MiniDV Vid Camera. In my case the seller, a camera shop in New York, did not sell the auction because the reserve was not met. They contacted me and offered the deal at a few dollars more than what I had bid (I think it was $100)

I was hesisitant about the transaction as you are of yours. I was able to research the company and find out if they were the real deal.

Once I made my decision I made sure to purchase with my visa card to protect myself against fraud.

I am not 100% sure if this is against ebay policy. If the deal is good and you can verify to the best of your ability that it is not a rip off I say go for it maybe have the seller send pictures of the actual item and make sure it is not a bootleg. Pay with a visa card to help protect yourself.

His wording is fishy to me "I happen to have an excellent copy". Is he the same user that listed the first disc?

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

It's probably a legit offer, but it violates ebay rules to send offers like that, because if you buy the item, ebay doesn't get their fees from the deal. It's up to you whether to care about their rules; if you did buy it, you're not the one breaking the rules.

A lot of people send mails like that to avoid paying the ebay fees.

I wouldn't worry about the word "copy", especially with a format like LD that has never had a consumer-recordable version. I use that word all the time to refer to things like DVDs, as in "my copy of Casablanca is at my Mom's house". It's not a bootleg, but it IS a copy of the movie, made in a factory.

I'd definitely ask for the pictures if you decide to proceed.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I think this might be a new way people are advertising. I placed a couple of my DVDs up on Ebay and a few days later, I received an email from some guy(member of ebay) saying he had a bunch of extra copies of DVDs(I forget the titles, but they're anime). The e-mail ended with "send me a paypal payment to this address and all e-mail inquiries be sent to this paypal address.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Carl: Wow! I am the person who sent that e-mail. Who'd of thunk it would end up the subject of a post here? It is not a copy of a laser disc but a real, live laser disc, the exact same one you bid on - I don't sell bootlegs of anything. I can e-mail photos if you'd like. I am not the author of the auction. I don't make a habit of sending such e-mails, but once in a great while I do (yes, it is against Ebay rules). You bid several times and seemed to very interested. I no longer wanted it (well, I do, but I have such a large LD/DVD collection that I might get to watching it in five years or so). So, maybe, I thought we could mesh.

I am well known on this forum as a laser disc collector. I have bought and sold laser discs on Ebay for about three years now. I have also sold (and bought) LD's on this forum.

So, I am no longer an unknown. If you're still interested (please note that the e-mail I use here is the same one I use on Ebay), drop me a line.

7. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Alan:

Just out of curiosity ... since you were not the seller on the auction that Carl bid on, how did you get his Email address?

I do a lot of business on Ebay and I get offers like your once in awhile, but I know that a bidders email address only becomes visible to the seller and not outside parties.

Just a question ...

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Aurel: I just click on the bidders id and that brings up the "Question From An Ebay Member" box. The e-mail is then sent through Ebay - at this point, I don't know the bidders e-mail. Only if he responds to it do I know.

9. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Wow I think the internet just shrunk a little. [​IMG]

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, I would have said this sounded like a scam, but in this case, I think you are okay.

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    This is an amusing development.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Alright, what laserdisc was it?

13. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

"It's a small world after all!" [​IMG]

14. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Carl, I wouldn't hesitate at all to Deal with Alan. In fact I bought some laserdiscs from him last year or so. He is a solid member here, and the discs were packaged GREAT.

-Just a little feedback profile for Alan![​IMG]

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

now that's trippy...

"the htf. it's larger than the both of us" ... or however that saying goes.

16. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Sounds like we're playing 6 Degrees of HTF LOL