Ebay Audiophile speaker cables trustworthy?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by David K., May 17, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

anyone ever order from there, theres a seller there with 100% feedback selling large gauge gold banana plugged speaker cables for about $40

i dont know whether or not to trust it, i dont want to mess up my speakers. but his feedback is 100%, he only sells audio stuff, and his cables look sexy.

there seems to be no mention of brand name or anything.
    his name is paraquip, anyone else ever order from him?

the price is right, and the cables look good. im debating whether or not to order them, i dont know what the quality is on them.

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Link?

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i cant post a link the forum say s i have to have 10 posts [​IMG]

4. David K.

David K. Second Unit

nope i need 15 posts now sorryn

if you type paraquip and audiophile cable on ebay im sure it will pop up/

5. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike
  6. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Go ahead, I've purchased some equipment and accessories from eBay with no problems. Worst case its not that much money anyhoo.

[​IMG]

7. David K.

David K. Second Unit

ya those are the cables, are those a good price for them?
    i dont want to buy shoddy merchandise and risk damaging my speakers. thats why im askin [​IMG]

if you look at his other stuff, they look really high end, just like the cables 4 times the cost, but how can he sell them that cheap? i dont know if there are short cuts anywhere, or if his auction is true, that its really cheap because there are no overhead fees and such.

8. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Don't mean to ruffle feathers, but if you want quality, why are you planning on buying no name cables that look DIY when you can go to BB and get some AR or Monster for less? Or step up and go Cobalt or BlueJeans.

Regardless, I doubt they'd hurt your speakers.

[​IMG]

9. David K.

David K. Second Unit

monster cables and ar cables at bb are small gauge cables,
    the thing is im hoping that the ebay cables are made with better parts since ar and monster have a high mark up so im really getting less performance from those cables.

plus i dont have much money to spend for cables, im currently using 16 gauge bare wire ar cables.

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The seller has 1000+ positive feedback without a single negative. You don't get a reputation like that by selling "shoddy merchandise". If I was in the market for high end cables I would gladly buy from him.

11. David K.

David K. Second Unit

cool, i assumed that most ebayers arent knowledgeable about higher end cables, so thats why im asking you guys, ive had bad experiences on ebay, id order import dvds and sellers had all postibve feedback, and receive bootlegs [​IMG]

so im a bit careful on ebay. ive already placed a bid so im gonna give it a go. too bad he only sells them at 2.5 meters, id have to look elsewhere for surround cables [​IMG]

ill email him and ask if he can adjust cable lengths.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hi David, and a welcome to HTF. I took a look over at the ebay link that was provided and would just like to offer some comments.
    First of all, the seller does indeed have a respectable rating and that's always an encouraging thing. Now off to shed some thoughts for your consideration.

The cables will in no way damage your speakers. You could have hooked up your receiver and speakers with a rusty coathanger and apart from the rust getting on the terminals there'd be no risk of anything like your speaker deciding to terminate its life in a shower of sparks.

As to whether the cables are worth the current price of $36 + $12 s/h, that's another matter entirely. They're 2.5 meters which I assume is an 8 foot cable for the simple reason that the seller is buying these cables in bulk from some distributer who is in turn getting them from say a factory, maybe overseas, that cranks these out faster than Rosie O'Donald going through a buffet table. For you to duplicate the cables you'd need to buy.
    16 feet of wire
    16 feet of techflex (the stuff the wire goes into)
    8 banana plugs
    8 pieces of color coded shrink tubing to go over the bananas
    4 pieces of black shrink tubing to go over the techflex
    While you could do it for a little less, you've got to factor in your time which includes labor and running around trying to find all this stuff. In the end, it might come out to a wash.

As to what the gauge of the wire is, it's unknown since all the seller says is that the conductor is 13 mm thick. Regardless, the question then might be asked would there be an audible difference from what you're currently using which is 16 gauge. The answer is no. Not even if the cables were made of silver would there be an audible difference from what you're using. Does that mean that you shouldn't buy them? That's a judgement call on your part David. Now I happen not to like bare wires at either end mostly because to me it's just sloppy and doesn't provide a secure enough connection for my tastes. Therefore, I'm willing to have them terminated to address those wants and I'll pay accordingly. There's nothing wrong in wanting your wires to look a certain way. People dress up their engine compartments all the time. However, don't con yourself for one moment that these cables will either improve your sound or that they're worth $500. They can't and they aren't. Buy them because you like the way they look and because that's the sort of terminations that float your boat.

13. David K.

David K. Second Unit

chu gai, thanks for the input! its greatly appreciated.

regarding the sound quality issue of cables used, the guy at my local home theater shop told me that there is audible difference between speaker cable brands,

the sound characteristics will changed slightly with each speaker cable manufacturer, is this true?

i did email the seller asking a question regarding cable gauge and he told me some large gauge number, i cant remember oof the top of my head but i think he said 11-12 gauge speaker cabling.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

But they're inaudible.
    Consider the following graph as a means of representation of human hearing sensitivity to give you an idea. By the way, this most certainly is not drawn to scale, it's just a visual tool.
    [​IMG]
    So long as the differences are constrained to within the two curves, you can't hear the difference. In order for a speaker wire to register a difference from let's say what you're using, it'll have lie outside of of those two curves. Can this be done? Well yes, however it's called design incompetency. If I gave you 200 feet of 32 gauge wire and you compared it to what you have now then you'd have a better than fair chance of hearing an effect.

You've got enough information I think for you to make an informed shopping decision. Take care.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i guess his feedback is a good thing, but something keeps sticking in my head. he mentions how good these cables, are etc. he even states "These cables retail for $500 a pair in audio shops."

yet he doesn't list the brand and i can't see any logo markings on the cable?

if they're so good, why not list what they are?

again, it's just something that kinda stuck out in my mind ... nothing against the seller or anything....

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Oh hell, that's like going into a supermarket and you find that if you use your Shopper's Card you can buy 2 watches for 9.99 and each of them has that little gold sticker that says 119.95. So did you really save over $200?

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

didn't i?

18. David K.

David K. Second Unit

I just received them in the mail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...700738885&rd=1

and i was pleasantly surprised but the quality and packaging.

i open up the usps priority mail box, and inside is a nice cardboard hinged box, textured with some kind of covering and silver foil with the company

"power pro audio canadian designed cables with specifications of od13mmx2.5m, banana plug pto2008 ofc high class speaker cable"

embossed on it.
    looks like a no name brand, hope it doesnt have a bad rep, anyone ever heard of them?

foam padding inside with cabled tied together. i noticed the banana plugs... they werent the small crappy balloon ribbed looking ones, they were fat elongated plugs that were very very slightly bulbous. and each plug had a condom on the end to protect against outside damge,

the cables are either 11-12 gauge, i think they are bigger then 12, there are black y splitter pants from the termination to the base of the speaker cable, so i squeezed the splitter thinking that there were small guage wires inside... NO the size of the black splitters is the size...ie the cable gauge is the same as the gauge of the banana plugs!

i quickly took off my crappy speaker cabling "AR 16 gauge bare speaker cable"
    and inserted the banana plugs... very tight fit..had to really push em in.

turned on some stereo listening material.. and my eyes bugged open... freakin aye, all them people telling me i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between my 16 gauge cables and these are full of it. its as if the sound is no longer choked and a flood of reserved power flowed through without blockage,

the sound stage sharpened, i picked off instrements floating in space and the singer was dead locked center floatinig in frount of me. I heard minute details of sound that werent present before.

am i happy with myu purchase? definately.... do i hear a difference in sound quality... a resounding YES! Cabling does matter.

but then im comparing these speakers to crap i was using before, i cant speak for normal 12 gauge bare wire to these, the difference would probably be negligiable.

but ya, this guy only sells them in pairs and 2.5 lengths. so center and surround speakers are out of luck.

there is one concern though, since this is a first for me with cables of this quality, i dont know if its common, but the area where the termination is with the shrink wrapped cover, the cable hangs awkwardly because of pressure, the cables them selves are heavy, looks like it needs a little more support in that area.

i can look into the dayton cables, but i can already tell from pictures those cables are up to par with these, the bananas on those are the inferior ones. and dayton uses smaller 14g cabling.

19. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i also have one more question, is it bad to have different speaker cable brands connected within the same set up?

the ebay guy doesnt sell singles or longer lengths, so i was looking into some cobalt cables for my center channel speaker and the daytons from for my rears, since those cables are fairly inexpensive.

also, does anyone have any opinions on those cable manufacturers?

20. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

How old was your old speaker cable? If it was quite old, chances are the copper oxidized at the terminations so it was not conducting as well as it could. Now you shouldn't have that problem with the banana plugs.