What's new

Ebay auctions (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Question -

What is the scam behind a lot of E-bay auctions? For example, why are there so many "New" or "Factory Sealed" speakers being sold? I figure something is not legit about these auctions.

Any thoughts?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Most of it is legit. There have been cases of people stealing massive amounts of merchandise and selling it on eBay, but this isn't a regular thing.

There are a lot of resellers on eBay - people who buy direct from the factory. Another common issue is to see a bunch of last year's model of a given item. Manufacturers and retailers want to get rid of the stuff cheap, so they put it up on eBay, or sell it cheap to someone who does. I've personally bought boxes full of laptops/etc from company and government auctions and sold everything on eBay individually for a profit.

Anyway, my point is, there are a lot of new/factory sealed items being sold on eBay, and it's not a scam. Do your homework, though: Many of these items end up selling on eBay for more than you'd pay at your favorite online store. If you think you see a deal, research the item before you bid so you know how much it's selling for elsewhere.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
They are not scams really. A lot of legitimate dealers who have either brick and mortar stores or wholesale operations sell on Ebay.
Most sellers on Ebay are not individual people anymore, but rather regular businesses getting rid of excess inventory.
I should know; I work with one such dealer :)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It's true, think of ebay as a way to get about 5 million people in your store a day to look around. What business owner wouldn't want that?

Lot's of real dealers out there and lots of people that have access to factory sealed stuff out there. I bought my Yamaha receiver from ebay from a guy that does custom HT installs and he gets them from an authorized dealer for near cost so he resells them on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks