What's new

Ebay: accept a check payment from a 23+ feedback buyer? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Alright, I'm still very new to ebay and not wanting to get screwed. I have a question from a possible buyer of one of my things that so far is not selling but has 9 watchers, auction ends tomorrow morning and I'm trying to respond asap to them.

Here's the question

Q: Hi Wanting to get a system for my children. I was wondering if you would accept a check, and of course not ship the item until the check cleared. Or I could send cash in the mail (I have never had a problem doing this). I live in Ontario. Please email me back ASAP as the auction ends soon - if I do not hear from you, and the auction ends without a bid, I hope that the system may still be for sale. Thanks in advance for your response (name edited out by me)

She's got 23+ feedback dating back to 2001, gold star, one negative feedback (backed out of an auction after shipping price doubled). Only one feedback last year. Would you do it?

Thanks - much help appreciated.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
She understands you won't ship until the check clears, so she knows it will be at least a week. I've always thought the sellers are at an advantage since at some point you wind up with the money and the item for sale. The only reason she would write you a dummy check is if she actually DOESN'T want the item and just wants to screw you with a return check fee. And she gets nothing out of it except some sick pleasure. I doubt this is the case. If you're feeling especially cautious, why can't she send a money order? It's just as good as cash and safer to send.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Thanks Cameron - I told her I would accept it with the understanding that I not sell it until the check clears, and suggested a money order to her. Hopefully I'll receive a response soon

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that's what I've done too. The bank can let you know once they have a clear.. and with Check21, the new system, if you want, they can (within the US / Canada) clear a check within a few days. :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Like others have already written, as long as you wait for the check to clear it's really not a problem to except a personal check.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Also some banks if you call them they will tell you if the check can be covered and if the account is good.

BUT after you call the bank, Check around the net to make sure its not a bogus check and the bank is at someones house
that you are calling. There was a thing on the news where someone was making and printing bogus checks in Chicago.
after they send the check they tell the seller to call the bank on the check, And the check is actually to that persons house acting like a bank. Also he would set up
in a small apartment with 2-3 phones and scam scam scam then after 1 month move out, sell the items, get another apartment and set up again.

So check everything out 100% before you send your item out.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Even if it's a personal check, and you wait for it to clear, how can a problem emerge though?

James T

Screenwriter

I have to look that up. I inisited on one buyer to send a money order, but he sent a check anyway. Since he was American, it takes three weeks to clear. So shipping from him is about a week, plus a three week clearing process, plus the one week shipping of the product....that's just too long for me (and I'll imagine for the American buyer as well, although he did leave positive).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.