What's new

EB has XBox mag that 'clearly' states the XBox has progressive DVD! (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I know that this topic has been beaten to death, and yes I know that it has been declared that the XBox 'will not' have progressive scan DVD playback capabilities but it was rather interesting when I happened across this Official Xbox buying guide. One section outlines (in detail) the specifics of the XBox having progressive scan DVD playback. It goes on about how the XBox is the first game console to have progressive scan DVD output, yada, yada, yada.
I didn't find a print date on the item, but it would seem rather interesting to see if they last on the shelf (once the error is found out, if it's discovered at all!)
The mag was going for $4.99 (just verfied with EB in Cincy, OH). This issue doesn't have the demo disk, apparently that comes with next months issue.
I may try to take a pic of it if I make it up to the mall again later this week.
FYI.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on October 30, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Troy,
The 'Premiere' issue (kind of like issue #0) of OXBM went to press before Microsoft removed the progressive DVD ability from Ravisent's software due to a macrovision-related licensing issue.
Hopefully there is a hack OR they sell progressive playback software separately (instead of pre-loading it, waiting to be unlocked by the remote) which may work around the current legal issue.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I gather you're talking about the Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) Does the cover have "70 Reasons Why You Must Buy an Xbox" on it? If so, this is the premiere/preview issue of OXM that hit newstands at the beginning of September, which means it went to print sometime in July, probably before the progressive scan feature was dropped.
Hence the "Not responsible for typographical errors. All infomation was accurate at time of publication." small print.
I noticed the Xbox doesn't even have the DVD logo on it. Probably because it does not support DVD video out of the box. The PS2 has DVD, DD, DTS, and everything else plastered all over it.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The promo boxes for the accessories at EB also state that the playback kit would enable Progressive Scan for DVDs. Those appeared about a week before we started hearing rumblings that it was removed and are still sitting in the EB I visit.
It's gone, I think we've all delt with it.
------------------

Leroy

Second Unit
Directly from a Xbox Rep to me(in person) "DVD playback is NOT progressive." I ran into this guy at my local Wal-Mart where he was supervising the set-up of the Xox display space and giving the WM employees general info on selling strategies for launch day.
Got to talk with him for a bit, also Wal-Mart will be one of the few places where you can pick up a non-bundled Xbox at launch.

Users who are viewing this thread