EB "Game Insurance"-is this new?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So I noticed that last week when I picked up my Halo 2 and this week when I picked up my Metriod Prime 2, the guy at EB tried to sell me a $3 "insurance" on my games. Basically, they say that if anything happens to the disc in the first year, they'll replace it. Now maybe it's just me, but why would anything happen to my game discs? What are they expecting-that people are using their games as coasters when they're not playing them? I can see if perhaps you had small kids who didn't know any better, but otherwise I can't really see the purpose of paying for this warranty. Is this just another way to try to make more money when profit margins on games are already thin?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I work at GameStop and believe me....you wouldn't believe the kind of trash that people try and trade in. I've compared some discs to an obese childe (not unheard of nowdays) standing on the disc while on concrete and performing the twist! It's crazy!

3. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

I will concur with this. I have also worked at Gamestop in the past, and the discs people bring in make me want to cry sometimes. And with the whole 7-day open return policy no longer in effect, that's just the new thing to do.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

A few guys on my hall like to put games in the closest available disc case, even if there's already a game in it (just put it right on top). They like to leave games out on tables (which the data side down) and overall aren't very good about keeping their stuff in good shape. I try to lend out games as infrequently as possible because of it.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I got this line from the EB guy when I was picking up my new PStwo a few weeks ago.

You know, this policy could really be abused by unscrupulous people. You know, get a badly damaged disc from somewhere, buy the game new, in a few months return the scratched up game to get a replacement.

Of course it is a profit making venture. I'm sure they profit on it. But it might be useful for people who have kids that are hard on games (teach them right, parents!!!). I am ultra nice to my games, so it's a waste for me.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It is designed for the extra abusive people out there. As long as you take care of your discs and handle them right, the insurance is useless. If you are one of the MILLIONS of people that are clueless on how to handle a disc, then its a good thing. From all my years working retail and rental, I would say probably one person in one hundred knows how to properly handle a disc.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, thinking about some of the used games/DVDs that I've bought from Blockbuster, I'm surprised that it's even 1%. I have no idea how a disc can get so scratched from just being played. Sure, I'll occasionally stack loose discs (mostly CDRs/DVDRs), and I've still never managed to scratch a disc up as much as some of the ones I've seen (that still work). Are people sliding them around on the carpet or something?

8. Brian Manon

Brian Manon Extra

Some people also have little 2 year old that like to climb on chairs and grab thier cd's a scratch them up[​IMG]

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Once I rented a DVD with teeth marks in it. No kidding.

10. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

I don't know how the hell people handle discs the way they do. I've tried to scratch up blank cd's just to see if I could scratch them as bad as a few DVD's and games I've rented from blockbuster. I still couldn't match the scratches by trying. I don't think it's even an issue of "it's not mine, so who cares" because I've seen relatives handle their own discs by touching the date part with their fingers. I won't allow anyone to handle my discs. I always have to put it in. [​IMG] People should have to go to disc handling school before they can use them. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

It's amazing how poorly people treat things that aren't their own. I remember years ago having a 2nd generation DVD player (and if you recall 2nd gen was not very far removed from the first so there were little tech improvements) that maybe one in three rented movies would play without scratch-induced lockups. Fortunately newer players deal with that. I don't rent many games so haven't had to contend with scratched discs. But the insurance proposition on a new disc seems like a waste to me. How does EB, for example, define "anything"? Physical misuse and abuse should not count. They probably have riders on what's acceptable.

That's what pisses me off about EB - always an asterisk by their offers. For example their recent trade-in deal towards consoles. You could pick up an Xbox, GC, or PS2 cheap with the addition of five traded in games. But of course they would only accept certain games. Likewise their trade-three-get-free offers on new releases.

12. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

AT the midnight Halo 2 launch event, the EB workers frikken haggled EVERY person to get that god damn disk protection. I don't hate the service as much as how they were shilling it, and argueing it's benefits, while over 150 of us stood thewre waiting to get our god damned games and go home to play. We could have been in and out in less then 20 mins, but due to their bullshit, took us about 45 minutes, a bit deal when you are drolling over playing Halo 2 [​IMG]

Now, when buying games for my 7 and 8 years old coisens, I will have no problem tossing on $3 for protection, because no matter how many times I tell them how to handle a disk, or their parents show them to put them away, the little hellspawns still occasionally scratch or drop a disk... But they are getting better.

13. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

The manager at my EB harassed me so much (yes, he argued with me) over this $3 protection thing, that Halo 2 was the last purchase I will ever make in EBGames. Gamestop now gets all my B&M business.

Would you believe the manager stood there in a store full of people, and told me that a majority of Halo 2 discs were being returned because they were bad from the manufacturer. I bet Bungie or whoever the distributer is would find what EBGames is saying about their new disc quite interesting. He basically told me they released a boatload of defective discs... bunch of bs.

All to make an extra 3 bucks... he's now lost a customer good for $200+ per month of sales, not to mention all my friends I've shared my experience with who will now also not visit EB any longer just to avoid the same type of thing. When he asked and I replied with "no thanks" he should have accepted my answer, not argue with me basically saying I was stupid for not wanting it because my disc will be bad.

Yes, it bugged me as I just want my dern copy of Halo 2, that's it.

BTW - I was happy to tell him on my way out that if my disc was defective, I would return, he would replace it for free, AND apologize for selling me a defective item in first place [​IMG] ... Of course, I popped it in and it worked and is still working, flawlessly.

/rant off

14. BenBerry

BenBerry Auditioning

This insurance thing sounds pretty good to me. I have kids in my house always playing my games and scratching the disks up. Although I hope it doesn't get like gamestop is with their harassing us to reserve games. OMG, that pisses me off. NO I DO NOT WANT TO RESERVE ANY GAMES RIGHT NOW!!!

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"and if you recall 2nd gen was not very far removed from the first"

YEP, usually the next one[​IMG]

Sorry Jay but it sounded funny when I read it.

Brent
    I know you are speaking of time!

16. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

[​IMG]

17. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I'd never get it cause my discs are always pristine. Every time I trade one in I get that comment made - so I guess they do get a lot of damaged ones in cause I always get "wow you take care of your games."

It's not that hard. Just put them in the case kids.

18. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

The big problem with EB's warranty policy is that they're misrepresented by EB employees. However, as EB employees are acting as agents of EB, EB is bound by their claims.

For instance, I've seen and heard EB employees tell customers that if you buy a system warrnaty and your kid puts peanut butter on a disc and sticks into the disc tray and screws up your machine, they'll cover it, if your dog gets hold of your new handheld gaming system and uses it for a chew toy, they'll cover it.

Those are fairly outrageous claims made by EB employees and sorry, but I"m not making this stuff up, I wish I could take credit for that, but you won't find any of this covered by the fine print of your product replacement plan. In fact, quite the opposite. But, if employees are making verbal claims to the contrary to generate sales and I've seen EB managers making these claims, then legally, they're bound by them.