Eating flowers?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Randall Dorr, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Anyone ever try this? I just ate a few rose petals. There's a kind of subdued bitterness. And even though the petals were red, your spit comes out a really kick ass color of purple. [​IMG]

I started reading Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief two days ago. I never had any interest in flowers prior to this, and my affection is likely to drop off once the book is finished, but for the moment, I have a very strong urge to chomp down on 'em.

Not anything mind you. I have no desire to eat dandelions, but flowers of substance (like roses) seem like they should do something other than decorate.

Maybe it's a jealously of insects. A desire to go to the other side. Humans (and animals) assist plant procreation by taking fruit and dumping the seed/s somewhere else. But insects spread pollen around after being attracted to the flower.

Any horticulturists that know about these sorts of things?

2. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Ive had rose petals before. Had the dandilions too. Ive been to a resturant or two that puts the dandilions on the salad. In fact, I think the fancy field greens salad mix has dandilion greens in it. As far as eating other flowers, do a search before you chomp down on it. If it doesnt have thorns, there's a good bet it has poison to protect it.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I ate salad made out of the Lei flowers while in Hawaii. As I remember, it was pretty good.

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I stick to just artichokes. [​IMG]

5. andrew markworthy

Marks and Spencers (a famous food and clothing store chain in the UK) used to sell a salad with flower petals in it. Quite pleasant, as I recall. You can get rose petal water for flavouring salads, drinks, etc, which is very nice, plus there are candied violets, and I seem to recall my mother used to do chocolate-covered rose petals as cake decoration. In fact, a fairly large number of flowers are edible - *BUT NOT ALL* (and some are outright poisonous) so be careful!

6. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Nasturtium flowers are wonderful in salads. They're piquant and slightly spicy. They're the most commonly eaten, short of artichokes I think.

Another popular flower is violet, especially candied violets which are used frequently in French pastry. You can buy violet flavored gum and candies at most convenience stores under the Chowards name. They seem sweet but really do help your breath. Quite potent but not so sharp as mint. Vanilla cake with violet pistachio icing and candied violets is one of my favorites (yes I'm weird).

Tiger lily buds, the buds of the common daylily flowers so often seen along side the road in summer (at least in the US), are great in stews and soups. They lend a slightly musky flavor almost like sage. They're a staple in hot and sour soup.

Squash blossoms are great stuffed or fried. They have a nice flavor but aren't the easiest thing to find as they're very perishable and most people would rather have the squash. Try them sometime.

Here is a link to a list of flowers suitable for eating and some of their flavors and uses.

Flowers are a great way to add a splash of color and something unusual and attractive to a dish.

Enjoy!

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I used to eat clovers as a kid. As I recall, they tasted very bitter. I was a strange one, I guess.

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Though less substantial than actually eating a flower raw,
    everytime we go for dim sum, we order Chrysanthemum tea (goohk-fah). It's tasty and has less caffeine than regular jasmine tea as far as I know. Often, drinking the petals cannot be avoided and doesn't bother me.

9. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

This makes me think of the character Dubeyji in Monsoon Wedding. I thought that his obsessive eating of marigolds seemed kinda neat, so I went and got some to try.

Not good. But I can see where they could be good in a soup or as part of a marinade. They were too spicy and bitter on their own.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Chrysanthemum tea is great! My mom boil it at home with pre-packaged Chrysanthemum petals she purchased from Chinese food markets. Stronger than the kind you get at dim sum restaurants, but great for cleasing out the system after fatty or fried food. The flower petals are quite good tasting, and the tea itself can be served hot or chilled.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, I have had Chrysanthimum tea...You can really make it strong or not. A lot of tea at restaurants is...ummm.. reused, i.e. just adding boiling water to old tea leaves such that it is weaker all the time.

I'm not much of a tea drinker, I kind of prefer the cold drinks but Chrysantimum tea is pretty good to me.

Jay

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'd not start eating flower petals at random. Never know, some might be less than desirable to consume, or even worse, poisonous. I just don't know that ALL flower petals are safe for consumption. Maybe they are. Better check though. Having poison in flower petals doesn't sound like a bad evolutionary idea if you're a plant.