Eathquake Cinenova Grande 5 vs. EAD Powermaster 1000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan H, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I've owned the EAD PM 1000 for a year and I love it, however the greater power resources of the Cinenova have been tempting me. I'm running Polk LSi 25's, LSiC, and LSIFX's all around (4 ohms) and the 1000 gives them 375w per. Sounds great to my ears, but the Cinenova pushes 600w per (4 ohms). In a 22X12X9 room, would the extra power be noticeable? Any opinions on both/either of these amps would be helpful. JH

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I think you have already reached the diminishing return factor with the EAD. The Grande is more powerful but the EAD has similar build quality. Are you running the Polk's full range without a sub?

3. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Charles, Aslam,
    Thanks for the comments.
    Charles - I am using the Polks with a SVS 16-46PC, so I tend to agree with your comment about the "diminishing return factor."
    Aslam - you seem to know our kind (HT nuts) well. Thanks for the calculations and your kind and thoughtful words. The upgrade bug has been squashed. Now it's on to daydreaming about a killer pre/pro!
    [​IMG] JH

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Thanks, Kevin,

I saw that auction. I've got my eye on several options but won't be able to pull the trigger for a few months. Maybe the 950, Rotel, or the AVM-20. Whatever I choose, though, it must be ready for 6.1 and have analog outs for multi-channel. As far as I know (maybe Sig 8?), EAD doesn't have anything in my 1.5 to 2.2K range that can do that. Am I wrong? Regards, JH