1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Eat, Sleep, Work, Consume, Die

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Of course it's beneficial. The key is stepping back, seeing what you really enjoy, and setting priorities. It always has been, all the way back to the invention of written language ("You know, Ugg, I think it was better when there was no way to communicate other than yelling at each other. These 'notes' and 'records' may save lives and keep the shaman from screwing us over, but what about the human element?").

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Written language is highly overrated

4. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I think about this from time to time when I take walks. How easy would it be for each of us to just unplug ourselves from technology and return to a more simplier life? Can we live without cell phones and computers? Sure we can, but our society is heavily dependent on mass communication. While technology advances every day - we are struggling to catch up ... and most of us never will. My wife and I just got our first cell phones and I'm already questioning if it was really necessary. Sure, we can call for help if we were stranded in the middle of nowhere, but we've made it this far without that scenerio ever happening. Maybe society puts that fear into us subliminally. Another thing that frustrates me is that we now have this great ability to contact friends and family instantly through e-mail, but all we get is jokes, cute animal pictures and send this message to fifteen other people or you'll have bad luck. Noone really talks about important things or shares their troubles with each other. We have blogs to vent our daily experiences to share with complete strangers, but avoid having the same meaningful insight in person.

Someday things will change and we'll learn the hard way.

- Colton

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Technology has the pitfall of producing a very insular existance if you let it happen to you. Blogs have turned many people into "Andy Rooney"s of the world. It's much easier to type about something that bothers you, rather than getting up out of the chair and doing something about it.

There's a funny commercial by Verizon where it's promoting their 1500 minutes for $39.99/month, and it shows a young girl just blabbing away on the phone, never quite exhausting her minutes on the cell phone, and she literally just talks and talks and talks, while losing all that time actually engaging in worthwhile not-so-self-centric activities. Overuse of cell phones has robbed many of critical thinking processes, the abusers will just call someone to give them the answer to their situation without taking time to think it through themselves.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Fantastic post Colton.....

This was my favorite line. There are so many products out there that are promted in a fasion where you can't live without it. We have survived as a society for so long without sooooo many things. I think as a whole we as Americans live in a very paranoid era. All of those GM commercials about Onstar and how it will save your life and the commercials about security systems for the house. After awhile people become afraid if they don't have these things. Every time I turn on the local news the first 15-20 minutes is all negative.......the last 2 minutes is a feel good story....the rest is weather and sports. It makes one feel like a majority of things in life is bad and that negative things are more important to report than positives...and I live in Maine!!!!!.....not a lot of "bad" things happen here.
    The best trip I took was to the British Virgin Islands on the Island of Tortola. The people there are sooooo laid back and never seem to let things bother them. When we first got there so many of the other Americans were getting irate that the food was taking so long to get there. My wife and I could not believe their behavior. A waitress came up to us when she saw how shocked were were at the customers behavior and she said ............"Americans need to learn to slow down". We laughed........we gave her a huge tip and partied with them and for the next 2 weeks we got the best service imagineable.......and always a little extra rum in the punch. I learned on that vacation that there is a lot more to life then running around like a chicken with their head cut off and living paranoid.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

And to quote that famous philosopher, Tyler Durden:

"The things you own end up owning you."

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but...

I was at Chili's with my parents and there was this kid (about 6 or 7) in the booth next to us. He had one of those video players (I wasn't sure if it was a PSP or not) where he was watching a movie.

I had to roll my eyes because I always thought that going "Out to Dinner" WAS the excitement [​IMG] Have kids gotten to the point where they can't even go out to dinner without having to watch a movie???

My dad made a profound statement when he looked at my mom and said "Remember when he (referring to me) was that age and we let him play with the creamers?"

LOL

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

So he wants to own nothing? We'd be in an incredible hell of a mess without property and striving to better ourselves. The author of the Wired article is a self described "hopeless romantic". I say he's another in a very long line of unrealistic elitist dunces, sneering at the "merchant princes" in favor of the "artists and thinkers". It's the "merchant princes" who have lifted us out of the short, harsh, brutish life the vast majority of the human race lived prior to the Industrial Revolution (it sounds like this idiot imagines life prior to then as some sort of bucolic ideal). People used to spend a LOT more time working their asses off feeding, clothing, and sheltering themselves prior to then (in other words, they did NOT have more time to "woo a lover" or "walk in a meadow"). The businessmen, engineers, and such he derides have done a HELL of a lot of thinking in the process, and it's the wealth they've created that's enabled his precious "artists" to make a living. It seems like some people are forever pining away for the "good old days", which were never as "good" as they think. I'll take today over any previous era, thank you.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Nice to see that Capt. Ludd found another gig after all these years. [​IMG] Anybody who thinks we should "go back to the simpler life" should start by naming exactly which 4 billion out of the 6 billion people now alive s/he thinks should be dead, because the first thing that would have to happen to make that particular "dream" come true. They might also want to think "dentistry" and "modern medicine".

Later,

Joe

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'd gladly go without technology if it meant I never had to read another piece of crap clueless bitchfest from this idiot ever again...

12. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

As a practicing engineer, I whole heartedly agree.
    Now...back to making your life better.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Before computers and "blogging" there was complaining to your co-worker, neighbor, or wife. Much easier than actually doing something. Before neighbors were invented, there was brooding and fuming. Much easier than typing, let alone taking action.

Life is arguably more complex now than 15 minutes ago. But it's not obvious that makes it worse.

14. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Uh...I think the main reason people choose those jobs is to guarantee their ability to get food and heat, not just junk.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Ironically, technology provides the capability to reach people all over the globe, and yet it has provided a barrier to interfacing with humans face-to-face in a consistent basis now, more than ever. It makes it easier to tune people out with gadgets. Does someone really need an iPod that can store 20,000 songs on it? Who has time to listen to 20,000 songs? Do you really need to pre-occupy your time at dinner with others by watching a UMD movie on a tiny LCD screen?

Yakking on the cell phone for hours on end, outlining every single moment of your life to the other person provides what sort of overall benefit to you and the rest of society? Technology has been misused to provide much more superfluous noise than signal in terms of bottomline communication.

I'm not going to say technology is inherently bad, because it's not, it's all in the application of it, and controlling its use for your benefit, and not letting it control you to your detriment.

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

In this day and age more people are talking than ever before...and saying less.

This is perhaps the most important and true statement of that article. The fact that most people don't ever notice or think about this is evidence enough.

Colton, Patrick, I think we would have great long talks together. I'll IM you tomorrow [​IMG]

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Since when is benefit to society a requirement, or even a desirable traits of my personal communications?

--
    H

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't think it's a barrier at all. I met my wife in a chat room, and that could NOT have happened without the technology (so much for the stupid "technology leaves you no time to woo someone" comment). There are countless examples of this happening. I've made good friends on the Internet, and it's facilitated coming together with people who have common interests. The ability to share information FAR exceeds anything in the past, and who seriously contends that's a bad thing? Finally, what's the big deal about the "face to face" aspect? It's the communication of thoughts, of ideas that's important. Luddite Long might as well argue against ANY expression of ideas via the written word. He should resign from the enterprise he works for that's devoted to such an "abomination" immediately.

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Exactly! We're all guilty of it.

I compare it to salaries. No matter how much money you make, you always find a way to need more of it. Even though I make like 10x what I did in college, I'm still looking for more money. When I would get pay increases, instead of living the same lifestyle, I'd increase my lifestyle to fill the extra money I was making. And now I've gotten to the point where my lifestyle is dependant on that pay increase.

Technology is the same beast. The more were fed, the more we use all of it. We don't necessarily need it, but it's there, so we use it all and find that even though we don't need it, it's hard to live without it.

Do I really need EVERY song on my iPod? No! But the day I DO want to play one of those songs, I'd be pissed if it wasn't on there (especially since I have the capability of having it on there).

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well...if you DID go without technology, and avoided Wired magazine...you probably would never read another thing from him ever again.

So when are you having your garage sale? Or are you going to put all your technology up for sale on Craigslist? [​IMG]