EasyClosets

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkMel, Mar 24, 2005.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Has anyone used www.easyclosets.com for a walk-in? We were thinking of using them to make our units for our new master walk-in and wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The only drawback I can see is that it's all custom made to YOUR measurements. Being ruler challanged, I opted for somthing similar that someone came in and did the measuring.....and STILL got it wrong [​IMG] I didn't have to pay until it was right and installed (hammer challanged too)

I've purchased other MDF products that came in damaged in shipment, which is also a pain. YMMV

Mort

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm probably going to be using this system instead.

http://www.easytrack.com

it seems easier to setup since you just hang the entire system from the main support rail. as long as you level the main rail, the rest of it should fall into place relatively easy. at least that's my hope.

to do a relatively fully loaded walk-in will cost me about $1500.00 - that's with all the drawers, high/low hangers, etc.

i can get this stuff from design expo, which is just down the street...so i'm not too worried about damaged product.

edit - oops..i just realized your system also uses the hanging rail. hmm...probably a wash then.

4. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Ted, how big is your closet? Ours is 10x10 and with all of the stuff we want in it, it's going to cost $4,000.

But if yours is around the same size, I like your price better.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

your closet is a tad bigger. mine is approximately 10x6 -- but it has some weird angles.

4k sounds heavy for a diy. unless you just went to town with all the accessories? even then, i don't see how there can be such a discrepancy.

i'll be curious if you decide to design it online at easytrack - lemme know what the tally is!

6. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I think the $4,000 closet package includes a plasma display and 2 packages of plastic hangers.

7. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

10x10, that is the size of one of my bedrooms that I use as my office. I thought I had a big closet, but 10x10, that's freakin hudge.[​IMG]

8. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I could build it myself but, don't have the time. As it is I have to install the hardwood floors, the granite tile, the trim, the doors, cut all of the mortises for the box locks (anyone have a Porter Cable 513 I could borrow/rent?) Paint, install the disco ball and make a lighted dance floor in my 5 yo daughter's new room that her mother promised her. :[​IMG]

As for the $4000, we did go with all of the options. I think that easytrack uses the same manufacturer so I will try to price that out and see the price difference.

9. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Damn them hangers lol [​IMG]

10. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the Closetmaid Completions kits from Lowe's have have been satisfied with the purchase. Very easy to install, the hardest part being tearing out the previous shelf and rod and fixing up and repainting the walls. I did the entire closet for around $600 (that included 6 over-priced drawers)

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

speaking of that .... how was that part of the process. any tips you care to share? i figure it'll take me most of an afternoon just to tear out the old stuff...repainting, etc.

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'm a big fan of the Elfa system from The Container Store. You screw in one top rail/bracket near the ceiling and then all the standards and shelves hang from it. If you want to change things around, it's simple to rearrange the shelves as they are not drilled into the walls.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...RODID=10011793

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    We bought our house with a California Closet Company system installed. I love it. Really makes lots of space.

However, I doubt I would ever buy one for myself. The money the former homeowners spent was way more than I would spend.

14. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

The first wall I did took more time than I would have liked it to, but mainly it was because of my lack of experience doing it. The second and third wall were much faster.

Being that I have textured walls (knockdown) being precise was not a priority. First was taking out the rods and unscrewing the rod supports. Easy. Removing the shelving and supports were the most difficult. The first thing I did was take a hammer and strike the shelving upward to dislodge it, working all the way around the shelf until it was easier to remove. I didn't worry about damage/scraping to the wall since I was going to be repairing that anyway. After removing the shelving, I took a 15 inch pry bar and began working around the supports, using a hammer to get between the support and the wall. The supports were nailed in various locations all along the wall, so I had to pry down basically the entire wall to get the supports removed. You may want to back the pry bar before using it with a piece of plywood or some other board to increase the surface area so you don't plunge a hole into the wall.

After removing the supports, I went over the entire area with a razor blade looking for any tears or anything that needed to be cleaned up. I also sanded down areas that needed it. Wiping the wall clean, I used drywall joint compound to fill any holes and smooth out extra rough areas. Once that was dry, I took sandpaper to clean up any spots that needed it and wiped it clean again. I bought a can of that texture in a can and it worked like a charm (I used the entire can for the closet), after spraying waiting 10 minutes before knocking it down.

After the texture was dry, I painted the wall with the interior matching paint provided by the home builder. Looks like the shelving wasn't even there!

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay...that sounds like a lot of work. [​IMG]

i had my walkthrough today. i asked the supervisor if they would be willing to do the closet teardown for me. he said not officially...but he thought the guys might be willing to do it on the side. i said, "make me an offer!"

we'll see. i may end up doing the same thing as you anyway. thanks for the tips!