What's new

Easy way to export playlist from iTunes? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hopefully this is a quickie: Is there a simple way to export all songs from an iTunes playlist so they are copied into a new folder?

With Tivo Desktop dead under 10.6, I'm trying pyTivoX. It plays iTunes from my Mac to my Tivo. But it doesn't understand playlists. If I can easily export a playlist as a folder of songs for pyTivoX to play, that might give me the solution I need.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nevermind, it's stupid-easy

Click playlist. Select all songs in playlist. Drag to desired fold. All songs get copied to folder.

(Then in pyTivoX, add folder to its folder list and songs are played on Tivo.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok I have one.

How do I get everything off of itunes onto a seperate external drive, then put it all back when i need it on my macbook for updating playlists to my iPhone.

I only have a small 74 gb hd that has 2.3 gb of space left, not any room for much of anything left.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that looks about right. i'l let you know if it worked.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TonyD

that looks about right. i'l let you know if it worked.
Did it work?
I want to do the same thing. I am new to the MAC world. My PC crashed a few weeks ago, and took everything with it. So, anyway, i went Mac, and i lost my iTunes, and all my CDs that i had uploaded on my iPod. Had to start over, cause i had to reformat my iPod to Mac, from PC. Sure my iTunes i could bring back...well most of them. I lost some, and i am not sure why. Anyway, id like to back it up, so i dont have to worry about losing it if i crash another computer.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
This is what I do when I have to move or copy iTunes music from one place to another. Open Finder, open Music, open iTunes. Now you will see a folder called iTunes Music. You can either grab that folder and copy it or you can open it and select the songs and copy them. I usually do the later if I am working with a computer that already has iTunes loaded. Sometimes I have to go and tell iTunes to add the itunes music folder to its list just to make it find the new songs. There are shortcuts to this process but this was will help you understand where your music is being kept. Now when you open iTunes you will see it adding all your songs and if you look at the very bottom you will notice that your song total and file size has increased.

You can also use Spotlight to go right to you itunes music folder. It's much faster.

Hope this helps.

Don

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
didnt do it yet.
have a few days off next week so I'll get to it then.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm, well it looks like the itunes9 has soemthing called homesharing.
looks like You might be able to transfer entire libraries from one computer to another on a home network.
I wonder if I'm seeing this right and if it will work from Mac to Pc.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/#home-sharing

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tony,
If you explore this, please post your findings. I'm also interested but won't get to it for a bit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
seems like it works, I only have about 3500 songs on my mabcook but it takes forever to lad them onto my pc using homesharing so I haven't had a chance to let it finish.

Only problem looks like no playlists go over so I would have to recreate all the playists.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

seems like it works, I only have about 3500 songs on my mabcook but it takes forever to lad them onto my pc using homesharing so I haven't had a chance to let it finish.

Only problem looks like no playlists go over so I would have to recreate all the playists.
I hadn't noticed playlist not moving, but you don't need to recreate them -- just to the export )right click on the playlist)/ import playlist thing once you ate done copying the songs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok I've tried this 3 times now and in theory it works but it takes so long for my 3500 songs to load onto the second computer that it never finishes.

twice my laptop was accidentally closed which cuts off the process and the third time even though it was plugged in, the macbook shut off when the battery went down.
if I can let it run to completion it will take minimum 4 hours.
PLus if I try to do it again it just reloads every song again.
I havent seen a way to tell it to not duplicate songs.

I have comcast cable as my internet provider so that isn't why it's so slow.

Guess I'll try it again.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Tony just delete the duplicates after your done with the download. iTunes has that option. If you already knew that, sorry.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Didn't know that.
there's a lot about itunes that i don't know.

i esssentially just use it so i can get songs and apps onto my iphone

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

twice my laptop was accidentally closed which cuts off the process and the third time even though it was plugged in, the macbook shut off when the battery went down.
How did a plugged-in laptop run out of juice? Do the Macbook's drain the battery faster than the AC adapter charges it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think the white box, sheesh what's that thing called, that's on the cord overheated and shut down.
It gets really hot sometimes.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

I think the white box, sheesh what's that thing called, that's on the cord overheated and shut down.
It gets really hot sometimes.
That should not be happening. Call up AppleCare. There is no conceivable reason for a MacBook to shut down due to a power supply issue other than a defective power supply.

Power supplies do sometimes go bad -- Apple gave us a replacement power supply for my wife's white MacBook last year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Actually the cords on some of the white macbooks were recalled as defective due to the cable splitting. You should check and see if yours is in that batch.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the only problem would be the slight damage on the cord from the puppy chewing on it.

this is the second power cord as the other one frayed were it plugs into the macbook.
a genius decided it wasn't their fault on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread