Easy way to build bass traps?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt Bello, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Matt Bello

Matt Bello Auditioning

Hello everyone. This is my first posting. I've read many posts on the forum now and enjoy it very much.

I recently decided to build a bass trap. After doing much reading on the forum I think I have a good understanding of what is required of them. I was fully planning to use 6.5" insulation compressed between "hog fence" when I thought of another potentially easier method. I searched the forum and can't find my method anywhere which makes me think that it could be ineffective. I want to describe my method on the forum before I begin to build a trap with my new method. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

My plan is to use pipe insulation by Knauf with an inside diameter of 12" with a 2" wall. The insulation is rigid and it holds its form. The density of the insulation is about 4 PCF (this is not on Knauf's website). Both ends are to be capped off with 3/4" MDF and sealed with Liquid Nails. The whole thing will then be covered with polyester and bulap.

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I don't know anything about the construction of bass traps, but I would recommend using a polyurathane glue on the MDF. It expands as it cures, so it will fill any small gaps. I use the Elmers brand from Home Depot.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Sounds like a plan. Are you going to stuff it with fiberglass?

I assume you're going to make a tall tube and put it in the corners of your room?

BTW, how much was it?

Pete

4. Matt Bello

Matt Bello Auditioning

Pete,

As far as I know(please correct me if I am wrong), the interior needs to be open, so I won't stuff it with fiberglass. The tube itself is made of compressed, rigid fiberglass.

The price that I was quoted so far was for a 16" inside diameter with a 1.5" wall by 3' tall and was less than $30. After spending more time on Knauf's website I realized that I could order one with specs that are closer to what I was originally going to build. These dimensions are listed above but I do not know exactly how much that will cost, but it can't be that much different. I noticed that you are in Bucks Co. which is close to the Knauf distributer. I can give you the phone number there later.

5. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Just to pick a nit: [​IMG]

Technically, these are not bass traps. ASC has called their product the "Tube Trap", and the name has become justly famous. But this design peaks out at around 200 Hz, not the under 100 Hz which a real bass trap is capable of. The latter is what you need to get into the subwoofer-range room resonances that can cause serious problems in home theaters.

Bass traps come in three varieties:

1. The original 1/4 wavelength trap - a built-in monster several feet deep!
    2. The Helmholtz resonator, which uses holes or slots
    3. The panel resonator, which uses (you guessed it) a resonant panel

Regards,
    Terry